Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 02:46 PM

Re: Covid: Boris Johnson 'hoping to avoid' national lockdown

Boris Johnson to hold press conference amid surge in cases

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55376727

Before that, the prime minister is hosting a cabinet meeting to discuss what action to take to deal with the spread of a new variant of Covid.

Chief medical officer Prof Chris Whitty said government advisers "consider the new strain can spread more quickly". He will join the prime minister and Sir Patrick Vallance, the government's chief scientific adviser, at the press conference.

Following concern about the rapid spread of a new variant, Prof Whitty said: "We have alerted the World Health Organisation and are continuing to analyse the available data to improve our understanding. There is no current evidence to suggest the new strain causes a higher mortality rate or that it affects vaccines and treatments although urgent work is underway to confirm this. Given this latest development it is now more vital than ever that the public continue to take action in their area to reduce transmission."
A new more contagious strain of COVID-19 will defintely inflate the infected cases figure .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I'd go so far as to say the majority - I remember the seaside and countryside invasions of the summer - give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile .....
Not to mention the MPs who think they are immune.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 04:21 PM

Boris Johnson to hold press conference amid surge in cases
I just sit back patiently and watch 'the latest announcements' and the headless chickens running around having decided in March to isolate myself until the cavalry arrived in the form of a vaccine however long that might take.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 04:26 PM

Boris will be talking at 4.00pm.

I do wonder how many will take note of what he proposes...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 06:00 PM

Christmas is O.F.F

'If you have packed a bag, unpack it' says government.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Christmas is O.F.F

'If you have packed a bag, unpack it' says government.

Indeed ..... common sense has prevailed:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55379220

The planned relaxation of Covid rules for Christmas has been scrapped for large parts of south-east England and cut to just Christmas Day for the rest of England, Scotland and Wales.

From midnight, a new tier four will be introduced in areas including London, Kent, Essex and Bedfordshire.

Those in tier four cannot mix indoors with anyone not from their household.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 08:15 PM

It's a bit nuts to make the change from 12 midnight tonight though.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

19-12-2020, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's a bit nuts to make the change from 12 midnight tonight though.
I'm sure that many Southerners will make the most of the change by totally ignoring it on their "last night of freedom" .....
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 08:37 PM

I'm sure that many Southerners will make the most of the change by totally ignoring it on their "last night of freedom" .....
You are very fortunate living where you do, with just 25 fatalities in a population of about 85,000 and no lockdown there are none of problems of not seeing relatives for months, so I understand. Not so good if you wish to get off the island or have visitors, other than those living there.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

19-12-2020, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
You are very fortunate living where you do, with just 25 fatalities in a population of about 85,000 and no lockdown there are none of problems of not seeing relatives for months, so I understand. Not so good if you wish to get off the island or have visitors, other than those living there.
I don't really live on the Isle of Man (and I don't look like Griswald ..... ) - I live in a mainland UK county that has had 70,000 COVID cases and over 2,000 COVID-related deaths .....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top