Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 08:07 AM

Fingers crossed, Goodbye Tinnitus.

Got my new hearing aids a few weeks back after the initial test at the hospital a few months back an appointment I had been waiting on some 15 months.
Anyways a phone call about 4 weeks ago explaining it all to me how they were going to send me the aids.
Anyways I apparently get white noise whatever that means and yes my hearing as improved tremendously and my tinnitus as vanished something I have struggled with for some 10 years.
My speaker levels have dropped to between 8 and 12, they were in the 80s so the wife is well happy although I did have a friendly dig last night and asked her could she turn her levels down because they are very high for my delicate ear's.
So fingers crossed my tinnitus as left for good.

I did slip into London under the radar yesterday and saw my family and gave out all their presents and it was great to sit and talk to them all after years of struggling to hear them.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 08:18 AM

Re: Fingers crossed, Goodbye Tinnitus.

I had a bout of tinnitus just before Christmas it was very scary like an alarm going off in my head really loud and I couldn't turn it off....its subsided now but I still worry about it. Doctor said nothing to worry about....just one of those things whatever those things are.

I'm glad you got to see your kids LF and were able to hear them that must have been special.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 08:56 AM

I have had tinnitus for many years but I only realised I had it when it stopped for a few seconds. I don't notice it normally and while my hearing aids do help my hearing I am afraid I rarely wear them.

Only my kids complain about the volume of everything when they visit
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 10:07 AM

I hope the new hearing aids work for you LF I understand white noise is a kind of 'minus' to the 'plus' noise of tinnitus so helps to cancels it out .

I find it difficult to get others to understand what it is like living with tinnitus and how it impacts of hearing .

My grandchildren now like to talk to me on FaceTime but I find it very difficult to hear them in that medium when their voices blend in with the background noise and the echo in the rooms in their house making one meaningless sound .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 10:38 AM

LF I am am so glad to hear that the new aids have helped you how do they work do they issue white noise ?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 11:55 AM

I had tinnitus for several years and could never make out what people were saying when outdoors. It kept me awake at night with the continuous buzzing, humming sound.

I went for a hearing test about six years ago and explained I had tinnitus as well. I had hearing aids for both ears which can be adjusted for different degrees of hearing. Expensive yes, but well worth it, my tinnitus no longer bothers me and I can hear a pin drop..
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Got my new hearing aids a few weeks back after the initial test at the hospital a few months back an appointment I had been waiting on some 15 months.
That is SO unfair of your GP to make you follow that route when Specsavers were awarded the NHS contract around 3yrs ago. My doc got a request off to SS and within a week I had a letter offering me a full test the following week at a centre only a mile away from my home. My comprehensive test was thorough and the audiologist ran me through my results. I opted for 2 x NHS approved programmable digital 'cone' aids and then within minutes I was in another room with a fitting technician and two aids being programmed to suit each individual ear. I now have much reduced left side tinnitus and better overall hearing abilities all round. Even my batteries are free vis a phone call or go to my local Specsavers in person. I really cannot fault their service.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 04:59 PM

Just to clarify, you all are saying that in addition to helping with hearing loss, hearing aids can resolve/improve tinnitus? If so, that's remarkable.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 05:26 PM

I have had two shorts bouts of tinnitus in the past year and it was scary, I was terrified it wouldn't go away. It was horrible, such a loud high pitched ring in my ears and I am not sure i could cope with it for a long length of time. You must be so relieved, i cannot imagine how you coped with 10 years of it.i feel quite tearful thinking of how relieved you must be fellow im so so glad to read your positive post. God bless you xxxx
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Anyways a phone call about 4 weeks ago explaining it all to me how they were going to send me the aids.
Anyways I apparently get white noise whatever that means and yes my hearing as improved tremendously and my tinnitus as vanished something I have struggled with for some 10 years.
My speaker levels have dropped to between 8 and 12, they were in the 80s so the wife is well happy although I did have a friendly dig last night and asked her could she turn her levels down because they are very high for my delicate ear's.
So fingers crossed my tinnitus as left for good.

I did slip into London under the radar yesterday and saw my family and gave out all their presents and it was great to sit and talk to them all after years of struggling to hear them.

So pleased for you bigfella, it must be wonderful to hear so much better.
Good on ya.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top