Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 02:15 PM

Opinions

There has been some criticism of the expressing of opinions on one or two threads lately. I think the free expression of opinions, and also the challenging of them, should be encouraged. This thread, I hope, could be a place for that to happen.

So, anyone wanting to express an opinion, please do it here, and then I'll tell you what's wrong with it.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 02:19 PM

Re: Opinions

Which came first, the chicken or the egg ?
What’s your opinion?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Which came first, the chicken or the egg ?
What’s your opinion?
saw this on QI a couple of days ago. Dinosaurs have been laying eggs for millions of years and chickens evolved from dinosaurs.

Thus, the answer is....egg
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
There has been some criticism of the expressing of opinions on one or two threads lately. I think the free expression of opinions, and also the challenging of them, should be encouraged. This thread, I hope, could be a place for that to happen.

So, anyone wanting to express an opinion, please do it here, and then I'll tell you what's wrong with it.
My opinion is that when one is expressing an opinion it's ok to state IMHO or equivalent.

It is not ok to tell someone else that what they are expressing is an opinion, because it's implying that that person is so stupid that they don't know they are expressing an opinion.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
My opinion is that when one is expressing an opinion it's ok to state IMHO or equivalent.

It is not ok to tell someone else that what they are expressing is an opinion, because it's implying that that person is so stupid that they don't know they are expressing an opinion.
In that case, Dex, isn't saying "IMHO" implying that the other person is too stupid to know that you are expressing an opinion?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 02:33 PM

Not really....saying IMHO, means that as far as you know....and could well be wrong?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

16-07-2021, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
In that case, Dex, isn't saying "IMHO" implying that the other person is too stupid to know that you are expressing an opinion?
I think the humility part of IMHO is the key point Harbal.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

16-07-2021, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Not really....saying IMHO, means that as far as you know....and could well be wrong?
But knowing you could be wrong doesn't mean you have to acknowledge it, Pixie. I hardly ever think I'm right, but you would never know it.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

16-07-2021, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
I think the humility part of IMHO is the key point Harbal.
I don't believe in being humile, Dex.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 02:40 PM

No, Harbal, we wouldn't.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top