Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 11:30 PM

Re: Has Anyone Been Scammed On The ‘DVLA’ Website?

Even if they did give a phone number, I'd be very wary of using it in case it was one of those prohibitively expensive ones which charge sheds loads of money per second.
Roj Blake
London,UK
Roj Blake is male 

17-07-2021, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Roj, l feel sure he said, he’d contacted them but they wouldn’t give him a refund.

I think it must be a site that you log onto unwittingly as it looks official.
I suppose they would describe it as a service to help you renew your licence but sneak £80 from your credit card for ‘helping’ you.

And then their excuse would be
''Did you read the terms and conditions as set out''
Hope he gets his money back,could he try and do a credit card chargeback.
''Credit card chargebacks happen when a customer requests their bank returns their funds for a purchase or when your customer's bank detects a problem with a transaction. They frequently occur when a consumer is unable to obtain a refund directly from you, the merchant, and instead forcibly takes their money back.28 Feb 2021''
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Roj Blake ->
And then their excuse would be
''Did you read the terms and conditions as set out''
Hope he gets his money back,could he try and do a credit card chargeback.
''Credit card chargebacks happen when a customer requests their bank returns their funds for a purchase or when your customer's bank detects a problem with a transaction. They frequently occur when a consumer is unable to obtain a refund directly from you, the merchant, and instead forcibly takes their money back.28 Feb 2021''
Weirdly credit card companies allow the transaction to complete before trying to claw it back. One would have though cutting the head off at source would be a better way, but apparently not.

This was my experience when we had a problem with some weird uber payments being charged to our credit card and I called the card provider while the transaction was still "pending".
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
A person l know, who is over 70, told me he has been scammed out of £80.

He went online to renew his driving licence and £80 was taken from his bank account.
He had filled in all his details to renew his licence and a box came up for him to fill in his bank details, so he did.

He feels so foolish and he’s hoping his credit card provider can retrieve his £80.

He is not hopeful.

I tell you what, I’m glad you posted this, because my driving license is up for renewal next year.

I would have done exactly the same thing as your friend.

For me now, I will be going to a post office and enquire in person.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 10:02 AM

He shouldn't be so hard on himself for filling in his bank details. If you are paying for something online, that's what you would expect. What annoys me is that the internet providers do nothing to stop these scammers.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 10:04 AM

Ah....LD...I must say I would not have given my bank details...I would then have exited the online application.

I never buy online...i look online , then I phone the company , to order....have always done it that way with wayfair , Dyson Argos, etc.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Ah....LD...I must say I would not have given my bank details...I would then have exited the online application.

I never buy online...i look online , then I phone the company , to order....have always done it that way with wayfair , Dyson Argos, etc.
But how else are you going to pay for your licence if you are doing it online? I suppose you could ring DVLC but I'm not sure how easy that would be.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

17-07-2021, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
But how else are you going to pay for your licence if you are doing it online? I suppose you could ring DVLC but I'm not sure how easy that would be.

They sent me a letter with a code number on it.

I think I may be confused...the code number I believe now was renewing my tax.

I will enquire at my post office, when my license is to be renewed next year.

I also renewed my license once at a post office.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

17-07-2021, 10:26 AM

Just follow Baz's advice on post 6 and use the gov website.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

17-07-2021, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Just follow Baz's advice on post 6 and use the gov website.

Thanks, never saw that ,will go check it out, Baz is great at giving us proper information....thanks Baz,

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top