Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2012, 10:53 PM

Mens Suits.

There was a program on BBC4 the other night all about mens suits, a sort of history of the suit. When I was a young man I liked to wear a suit at the weekends going dancing and for special occasions, I felt good and trendy wearing the latest cut suits. Remember the "Bum Freezers"? the short jacketed suit that hung high above your backside, my Mother got a good laugh at me in those days, I must have looked a right plonker, then the skin tight trousers making you look like a jockey going to church on a Sunday, still the jacket and trousers were of the same material and qualified as suits. they are on the way back with the younger folks according to the program, thats not a bad thing considering some of the "Fashions" out for men today.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 02:11 AM

Re: Mens Suits.

What's the wildest colour suit you owned?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
What's the wildest colour suit you owned?
I always would stick to the normal mens colours AJ, black, grey, navy blue, all in various shades, you must admit men are limited in the colour department, not like the women where the sky is the limit, imagine a man wearing a yellow suit. I did however venture off track and had a light brown tan colour suit made, the girlfriend was with me when SHE picked out the cloth, it literally looked like shit, I wore it twice but I couldn't take the slagging any longer and gave it to charity.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
I always would stick to the normal mens colours AJ, black, grey, navy blue, all in various shades, you must admit men are limited in the colour department, not like the women where the sky is the limit, imagine a man wearing a yellow suit. I did however venture off track and had a light brown tan colour suit made, the girlfriend was with me when SHE picked out the cloth, it literally looked like shit, I wore it twice but I couldn't take the slagging any longer and gave it to charity.
I reckon you would look real dapper in this suit, Jem

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

21-06-2012, 04:25 PM

Oh my God! I wouldn't be seen dead in it Mags, I wouldn't even wear it as a joke on Paddy's Day.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 06:36 PM

I think every man wore a suit when he went out in the evening, we didn't feel dressed up without one. I used to cadge my dad's hand me downs at one time as we were both the same size for a while in my teens until I outgrew him. Luckily my older brother was a bit weedy in comparison so there was never any competition for cast offs....
The first suit I ever had made was a dark pinstripe for my wedding, and cost a whole week's wages of £14.10s...
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 06:43 PM

I am looking for a suit for a 16 year old. He is going to the school prom. It's hard getting a 32, 34 chest 28 waist. Most shops start at 36 chest 30 waist. They are not cheap most start at a £100. Then he needs a shirt, waist coat, tie and shoes. It's going to be a dear do, for one night. Probably never to be worn again.
We never used to have school proms. We had the end of school disco, my older children had end of school dance. Clothes they bought could be worn again.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by shaz ->
I am looking for a suit for a 16 year old. He is going to the school prom. It's hard getting a 32, 34 chest 28 waist. Most shops start at 36 chest 30 waist. They are not cheap most start at a £100. Then he needs a shirt, waist coat, tie and shoes. It's going to be a dear do, for one night. Probably never to be worn again.
We never used to have school proms. We had the end of school disco, my older children had end of school dance. Clothes they bought could be worn again.
Have you tried to hire one Shaz, Moss Bros or similar....?
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2012, 09:46 PM

It would be a waste to buy one for one night, you could hire.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2012, 01:06 AM

Over here I'd rent from a wedding shop. They have all the range in sizes. The OH's son wanted a powder blue tux for grade 8 grad (age 13) but we talked him out of that and found him a nice navy blue suit at Sears for $100. The shoes were another $100 and he outgrew them before he had a chance to wear them again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top