Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 10:49 AM

Dave Allen

We watched a program about Dave Allen on BBC the other night, enjoyed it as we always liked his comedy. The presenter said something about him being banned on Irish TV because of his send ups about the church, if you want to make something popular in Ireland the best way to do it is ban it, if they had banned the Irish language everybody here would be speaking it now, can't say I ever seen him on Irish TV, but it made no difference, everybody in Ireland had the BBC channels anyway and I can tell you it was the most popular show watched in Dublin, in the days before video recorders and when colour TV was in it's infancy, the 'ColourTV Room' in the pubs would be packed on Friday nights when he was on, all the talk in work and on the bus was "Did you see Dave Alan last Friday night?". I just thought I'd point that out in case folks thought he was deserted by his own or got any wrong impression, wish we had someone like him and Les Dawson on TV today. I never knew he spent some time on Australian TV.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 10:51 AM

Re: Dave Allen

I liked his style too - unique he was .....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 10:59 AM

I used to love Dave Allan
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 11:17 AM

I loved him too. In fact we watched a Youtube of him swearing the other day. Don't know how true this is but it was said that questions were asked in the House about him saying 'shit' on one programme - his next programme was full of 'simple' swear words
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 11:17 AM

We saw it too, and the shows after of compilations of his work, he was very popular in my family so it was great to see him again and funny as ever but my husband had never seen him (odd family he comes from we decided ) and he fell about laughing. No one seems to be so able to cause that these days either comedians are cruel or just not funny. DA made fun of religion without making fun of Faith or believers which is quite a clever feat !
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 11:47 AM

We as a family also used to love watching Dave Allen, used to find it so funny that he took the micky out of everyone and got away with it.

Brilliant no one like him.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 12:06 PM

I remember Dave Allen and my parents never missed his shows on the telly (my mum had quite a crush on him ).
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 12:17 PM

We used to love Dave Allen too. I remember him being banned in Ireland because of his mockery about religion. Not being religious it made no difference to me. I loved his cheeky grin he had when he knew he was just touching the knuckle on his jokes. Very funny guy, plus Les Dawson. Cant stand these new comedians always swearing and really putting the knife into their subjects. Don't watch them now as I want to laugh at a comedian not feel insulted by one.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 02:28 PM

Brilliant ! He was just so funny and talented. Unfortunately, in his later shows, he did resort to swearing - sometimes quite badly, which was a great shame as he was talented enough not to have to resort to such cheap tactics.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 02:35 PM

So right - it is a shame and it adds 'nothing' ....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top