Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 06:14 PM

Re: Do You Know Your Liver and Onions?

I like lambs liver with onions and gravy, but my favourite is ox liver flash fried and slapped between two pieces of dry bread, delish....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 06:20 PM

Lamb's liver with fried onions every time for me, add veg of your choice and some nice creamy mashed potato .... mmmm!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 07:00 PM

Lambs liver, bacon, tomatoes and onions with baby potatoes.

Calves liver with onion gravy, mashed potatoes and whatever veg comes to hand.

Pigs liver in a casserole - yummy!
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 07:50 PM

No one with any thoughts on point 1:

1) My concern with buying it already cooked is that I can't believe many people would want to buy a liver meal, so few I would be concerned about the "sell by date" being well passed.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->

1) My concern with buying it already cooked is that I can't believe many people would want to buy a liver meal, so few I would be concerned about the "sell by date" being well passed.
I never buy anything ready cooked, Gravitas, much prefer to cook from scratch.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 08:43 PM

I thought for the best flavour you should eat it very quickly after it's been cooked from raw. Reheating it ruins the experience.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 08:58 PM

The COOK range of home cooked dishes is excellent.
I'm told their liver and bacon meal is delicious.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

05-07-2018, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I thought for the best flavour you should eat it very quickly after it's been cooked from raw. Reheating it ruins the experience.

It goes leathery if reheated.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 10:41 PM

I meant to ask if it was better to go to a butcher rather than get some packaged piece.

I'm not concerned about the cost, I just can't bring myself to get some down me. But I'll organise something and forward your advice (including the previous thread) to my chef.
If its for just you then go to the butchers, the packs in the supermarkets feed 4 people easily

Ask your butcher for one or two ( or 3 or 4 ) thin slices and ask him to trim it if needed, a couple of slices shouldn't be more then 50p

this is how I cook it and my husband who thought he hated liver loves it

Add a wee drop of oil to a non stick frying pan, add a couple of rashers of good streaky bacon, not that wafer thin stuff, and cook till done as you like, remove and drain. Now add a sliced onion to the fat in the pan and cook till lovely and caramelised . Remove from pan and drain on kitchen towel

Put the kettle on to boil

on a plate put some flour seasoned well with salt and pepper. Coat the liver in the flour and add to the fairly hot frying pan, you might need a touch more oil, but go easy, you don't want an oily dish

As soon as you see blood appear on the top of the liver, turn it.

Give it another minute or two then add the boiling water, slowly, stirring all the time to get all that flour and juices together to make a lovely thick gravy. Add an oxo cube if your gravy is thickening nicely, if it isn't use gravy granules

Soon as the gravy in right, stir back in the bacon and onions to heat through and then serve with mash potatoes
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 11:23 PM

Calf's liver and sauted onions with mashed potatoes is still one of my favorite meals. It is also my grown son's favorite meal, he had it as a child and loved it even then.

Don't prepare it often, but a treat when I do.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top