Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 08:10 PM

Re: Dahlias

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Sorry forgot to post picture.
Hi pauline3...your vase of Dahlias is just so gorgeous...thank you for sharing them with us...
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Following on ....I am finding that over the last few years that dahlias that I have left in the ground have survived. Those that some that I left in pots under cover have rotted, so I will be lifting the more showy one that I purchased shear and put in pots. I suppose it does depend on your garden and whether it’s subject to cold weather.
Here daliahs are an annual bulb but if you plant them deep enough the ground works as insulation to protect the plants. Bulbs winterized in pots die here also as they aren’t insulated enough so they rot.
I’ve experimented with gladiola bulbs and canna lily bulbs which the same results.

I think it’s so sweet that you grow daliahs for your special lady.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Here daliahs are an annual bulb but if you plant them deep enough the ground works as insulation to protect the plants. Bulbs winterized in pots die here also as they aren’t insulated enough so they rot.
I’ve experimented with gladiola bulbs and canna lily bulbs which the same results.

I think it’s so sweet that you grow daliahs for your special lady.
Thanks, My lady loves her dahlias, this is a montage of the ones I leave in the ground.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	B5FEE09F-A964-42D8-ADDD-10D6524F58BF.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	7977  
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 10:03 PM

I can’t blame her. They certainly are special. They make gorgeous painting subjects.

Very nice.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
I have the most gorgeous pure white "Hawkshead" fushia bush by my front door Mups..ive had it for several years and its really flourishing and quite large now..I had wanted a pure white one for a while.
Mine is situated in a sunny area which is by my front door,it overwinters very well here,I dont do anything to it at all.
Its the most pretty delicate flower and has a really long flowering time.
I see it says flowering period is from June to October but mine is still in full flower atm and looking lovely..

Aysa, I am glad you've got Hawshead too, because can you tell me if/when you cut it down please?
Do you give it any winter protection?
Many thanks.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Beautiful Filly ->
Hi pauline3...your vase of Dahlias is just so gorgeous...thank you for sharing them with us...

Thanks,BF,I did plant a Dahlia this year,but it never came up,I think it may have been,because it was hidden under a Hosta,they love sunshine,..they also need a bed,all to themselves.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Thanks, My lady loves her dahlias, this is a montage of the ones I leave in the ground.

Those a lovely, Rehab.
I especially like the clear pink one, second row on the left.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Aysa, I am glad you've got Hawshead too, because can you tell me if/when you cut it down please?
Do you give it any winter protection?
Many thanks.
Hi Mups
Ive never cut it down in all the time ive had it planted there..im sure it could do with it to tidy it up a little..I would cut it back after flowering has finished but not too hard..likewise its never had any winter protection either and its thrived in that position. It is a warm spot at the front of my house.

Apologies to the OP for posting Fuschia pic on your Dahlia thread ..
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2018, 01:41 PM

No worries Aysa,beautiful bush,well established I see,I was worried at first,your frontage looks exactly like mine,I had to look twice,lol,lol.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2019, 10:05 AM

your dahlias are lovely ...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top