Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 08:17 PM

Re: Crispy Potatoes

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I have a fan oven Carol,about 20 minutes,..I'm cooking another batch tomorrow,for Christmas lunch,
Must put the sprouts on

Seriously, good idea to freeze in advance.
I do Jamie Oliver's get-ahead gravy in advance and freeze it.
Have done his yummy Christmas Bombe some years too and frozen it.

Not til DECEMBER!!!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Must put the sprouts on

Seriously, good idea to freeze in advance.
I do Jamie Oliver's get-ahead gravy in advance and freeze it.
Have done his yummy Christmas Bombe some years too and frozen it.

Not til DECEMBER!!!

yes not until December,good idea about the gravy,I will look his recipe up and make that,..I hate all that preparing and cooking Christmas Eve and Christmas Day,it's hard work...where as all we will have to do is,cook the turkey,meat,sprouts and the trimmings.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 09:13 PM

I always part cook my potatoes, then put them in the oven with just a sprinkle of oil on them.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I always part cook my potatoes, then put them in the oven with just a sprinkle of oil on them.
Yep me too. I think that's a fairly standard way of making roast tatties. Part cook, oil and roast. The tastiest of course many say comes from using pork fat from a pork joint you are roasting at the same time.

The freezing idea is interesting but I'm not quite sure why I would do it. I only say that because if I'm having roast tatties it's pretty much always with a roast dinner so I'll already be waiting for vegetables to cook for at least 15 mins and the roast itself for 1-2 hours. So par boiling the tatties and bunging them straight in the oven isn't any extra time.

Then again, if I just fancied some roast tatties on their own one night for a snack . . . . . . hmmmmm
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Must put the sprouts on
One thing I love about the cold winter season is sprouts !!!

Loving sprouts at the moment. Having them a few times a week. Yum.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 12:19 AM

I also parboil the potatoes, roast them and then squash them slightly when they are almost done, then put them back in the oven for another ten minutes.

As Jamie Oliver says 'the meal isn't ready until the potatoes are done.'
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 07:12 AM

[QUOTE=Realist;1580056]Yep me too. I think that's a fairly standard way of making roast tatties. Part cook, oil and roast. The tastiest of course many say comes from using pork fat from a pork joint you are roasting at the same time.

The freezing idea is interesting but I'm not quite sure why I would do it. I only say that because if I'm having roast tatties it's pretty much always with a roast dinner so I'll already be waiting for vegetables to cook for at least 15 mins and the roast itself for 1-2 hours. So par boiling the tatties and bunging them straight in the oven isn't any extra time.

Of course it is extra time Realist,with the potatoes already in the freezer,all you have to do,is bung them in the oven,twenty or more minutes,at the end of cooking the roast,...no peeling,no boiling,already done,as they are in the freezer,and if you have 15 for lunch,look at the time you save,all done in advance.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

Do I presume you are providing an alternative to 'storm Diane' ???
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I have never done this before,but I was fed up of cooking roast potatoes from scratch,

So,I boiled some potatoes,(not over cooked)drained them,let the pan dry out from the heat of the hob,gave them a shake,to get that crispness,cooled them down,then froze them,I have just cooked them from frozen,in the oven,straight from the freezer,..absolutely delicious,crispy on the outside fluffy in the middle,..saves such a lot of time,..have you ever cooked them like this?
Sounds excellent , I am going to give that a try .
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

Me too !!!!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top