Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 11:16 AM

Cosmetics Scam

Not surer if this should be in the Beauty section or not?

Did anyone see telly last night, where there was a programme on about scams involving people buying make-up online, whether for themselves or for presents for someone else?

There was a pretty young girl on who bought a normally very expensive brand lipstick because it was reduced by £30.
When she put it on, shortly afterwards her lips began tingling and swelling at an alarming rate, it looked awful.

The presenters said there is a lot of fake stuff going round and products have been found to contain the following:

Arsenic
Lead
Mercury
Paint stripper
And even faeces!!!

They were warning if any product is being offered at a silly knock down price at the moment, don't touch it.

You know the old saying .... if something looks too good to be true - it probably is.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 11:21 AM

Re: Cosmetics Scam

People really need to take responsibility for their actions. Fakes abound online as they do in markets and cheapo stores on the high street.

There are certain things I will not buy online unless I am absolutely certain where they are coming from, batteries and the like are a no no especially from places such as Ebay and Amazon who do very little to weed out the fake sellers.

As for make up which I have no experience of buying, people should do their research before buying places like Trustpilot are useful.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 11:43 AM

I don't use makeup, I've always been a natural outdoor type. Makeup just didn't go with the image. Better for the skin too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->
People really need to take responsibility for their actions. Fakes abound online as they do in markets and cheapo stores on the high street.

There are certain things I will not buy online unless I am absolutely certain where they are coming from, batteries and the like are a no no especially from places such as Ebay and Amazon who do very little to weed out the fake sellers.

As for make up which I have no experience of buying, people should do their research before buying places like Trustpilot are useful.

I agree with you Mr. Fraggle, but unfortunately many people are looking for 'bargains' at this time of year, that's the trouble.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 12:26 PM

What I can never understand about any fake goods is that if someone goes to all the trouble of faking something, why not just make a good product and sell it for more money with no come backs.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 12:36 PM

Stick with decent companies you can trust boots, etc do great bargains at this time of the year and won't be stocking the knock offs.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I don't use makeup, I've always been a natural outdoor type. Makeup just didn't go with the image. Better for the skin too.
Good for you Roxy, sensible lass.

I convinced my other half to stop wearing make-up many years ago and to just be natural. There is nothing healthy about slapping crap all over your face and blocking the pores.

Years and years later my wife now still looks lovely with beautiful skin and other women her age who wore make up all their lives look haggard and wrinkled.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 01:43 PM

Make up should be a personal choice not something anyone is persuaded to do or not IMO I didn't wear any for decades, my choice but as soon as I became menopausal I disappeared into a grey blob, no colour at all it seemed, so I started using a little eye makeup and lippy, made a huge difference to how I felt about myself. I can't wear foundation etc I always feel like I've got a dirty face but a little eye make up and lippy suits me these days.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 01:48 PM

Quite right Julie, it should be a personal choice and I for one would not dream of telling my later better half whether to wear make up or not unless of course it was a tad over the top.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 02:13 PM

I never saw it Mupsy.
Oh the thought - yuk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top