Join for free
Page 6 of 13 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 09:56 PM

Re: Pond Removal

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Sometimes it can be too stressful shopping around for the best deal Pesta. So long as they do as you ask and you are happy with it then you don't need to worry.
Thanks Dingy, my thoughts too. Plus feeling able to trust them is a big thing too.

I think this guy will cover all of that.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Hope you manage to catch all the froggies and their spawn, else it don't bear thinking about.
Shame it's in the middle of the breeding season.

You might get mistaken for a garden gnome with your fishing net.
You should get your photo taken with a big pointy had on.
Mups, the frogs have been holding mass orgies these last few days. So noisy. Yesterday when I got up the spawn was there. For the first time, I cringed. I might end up being a murderer.
I realised it's no good putting the spawn in the stream, it's too flowing, never static. They'd be washed away and beaten up.

Plus I know the frogs and newts usuallly keep going back to the same pond - imagine when they roll up and it's a load of soil and plants

It's been so damp, last night the path was littered with newts. I nearly trod on two on the mat right outside the back door. But for the night light I would have.

I will miss all that. But, it has to go.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Thanks Dingy, my thoughts too. Plus feeling able to trust them is a big thing too.

I think this guy will cover all of that.

Mups, the frogs have been holding mass orgies these last few days. So noisy. Yesterday when I got up the spawn was there. For the first time, I cringed. I might end up being a murderer.
I realised it's no good putting the spawn in the stream, it's too flowing, never static. They'd be washed away and beaten up.

Plus I know the frogs and newts usuallly keep going back to the same pond - imagine when they roll up and it's a load of soil and plants

It's been so damp, last night the path was littered with newts. I nearly trod on two on the mat right outside the back door. But for the night light I would have.

I will miss all that. But, it has to go.

You are so lucky, having all those newts and frogs.

Just a thought, but I wonder if you could get something like a baby bath at a charity shop or similar, and just sink in the ground to help them over this year, just so the spawn stands a chance at least?

You could save a bit of weed from the big pond and put in to make some shade, and some sort of ramp so they can climb in and out the sheer sides perhaps? Just to get them over this year,then you could dispose of it after they have grown up and left home.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 10:11 PM

You are so lucky, having all those newts and frogs.

Just a thought, but I wonder if you could get something like a baby bath at a charity shop or similar, and just sink in the ground to help them over this year, just so the spawn stands a chance at least?

You could save a bit of weed from the big pond and put in to make some shade, and some sort of ramp so they can climb in and out the sheer sides perhaps? Just to get them over this year.

Actually Mups I thought just that - putting it in a container in the garden. The only thing that's in my mind is rats. There's a few around and I wondered if they'd eat the spawn.
Would do you think?

Funnily (well not funny) under the outside tap I have a large empty Ronseal paint container to catch the drips. I recently found a dead mouse in it. It's got quite high sides and smooth so have no idea how it got in there.
Imagine rats who are larger than mice doing the same thing with a container with the spawn in it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 10:20 PM

I wouldn't have thought rats would eat the spawn, but I looked it up and just as well I did.
Have a look at this. They have a few questions and answers.

https://www.froglife.org/info-advice...oles-problems/

Mind you, if rats are a problem, they will eat it where it is anyway, won't they?
Can't you get someone in to deal with the rats? They breed like wildfire otherwise.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

19-03-2019, 10:32 PM

I wouldn't have thought rats would eat the spawn, but I looked it up and just as well I did.
Have a look at this. They have a few questions and answers.

Mind you, if rats are a problem, they will eat it where it is anyway, won't they?
Can't you get someone in to deal with the rats? They breed like wildfire otherwise.
Ahem?

Fingers crossed, the spawn only just been spawned as of yesterday, so far it's still there.

The rats appeared (again) when the neighbours put the food out for the birds in the winter. They've stopped that now.
The neighbours on the other side put traps down. I must admit I haven't seen any for a few days.

Edited... haha, just checked your post and you've put a link in Thanks!
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 10:56 PM

As this is the spawning season you shouldn't be doing anything. I'll tell Ken Livingston.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

19-03-2019, 11:37 PM

Ahem?

Fingers crossed, the spawn only just been spawned as of yesterday, so far it's still there.

The rats appeared (again) when the neighbours put the food out for the birds in the winter. They've stopped that now.
The neighbours on the other side put traps down. I must admit I haven't seen any for a few days.

Edited... haha, just checked your post and you've put a link in Thanks!

The spawn starts hatching in about three weeks I believe, so will be a bugger trying to catch all those tadpoles to move.

Perhaps best move it soon, before it hatches do you think?
I would use the pond water in the baby bath, not fresh tap water too.

Hope it works and saves some lives. Fingers crossed.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

19-03-2019, 11:47 PM

The spawn starts hatching in about three weeks I believe, so will be a bugger trying to catch all those tadpoles to move.

Perhaps best move it soon, before it hatches do you think?
I would use the pond water in the baby bath, not fresh tap water too.

Hope it works and saves some lives. Fingers crossed.
Yes, good thinking. Now the weather more amenable, ie it's stopped chucking it down for a few days, I'll get onto that.
I've got quite a deep container, it's an old squarish bucket type thing that's really for the rollers used for decorating. That's quite high so should keep any wildlife baddies away and keep them safe.
I'll put some plants from the pond, obviously the water, and a stone or something, for when they grow up and are able to jump out and away
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

19-03-2019, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
As this is the spawning season you shouldn't be doing anything. I'll tell Ken Livingston.
All I can say to that is 'I know'. And, I'm petrified at you telling Ken
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

19-03-2019, 11:49 PM

Yes, good thinking. Now the weather more amenable, ie it's stopped chucking it down for a few days, I'll get onto that.
I've got quite a deep container, it's an old squarish bucket type thing that's really for the rollers used for decorating. That's quite high so should keep any wildlife baddies away and keep them safe.
I'll put some plants from the pond, obviously the water, and a stone or something, for when they grow up and are able to jump out and away

Good luck.

Page 6 of 13 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top