Join for free
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 10:11 PM

Painting by numbers....

Dan Robbins, the inventor of the paint-by-numbers kits, has died aged 93.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-47832466

'His kits inspired generations of budding artists to pick up a paintbrush and create multi-coloured wonders. Here, BBC News website readers share their artwork and stories about how the method helped them'.

The article starts with: 'Painting-by-numbers literally saved my life'.

I can believe that. People feeling down or poorly and getting engrossed in something creative, giving them confidence seeing the picture progress, especially if they have no particular artistic flair.

I'd forgotten all about these kits.
I remember seeing them in the shops when I was a kid although never did them.
(There was also rug making kits. We had one of those, which was really therapeutic to do, even if it was rather large and awkward )

Did you do them or do you do them now - the painting by numbers?

What about rug making?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 01:19 AM

Re: Painting by numbers....

I remember 'painting by numbers' - when I was about 13yrs I did several of them - mainly cats and ballet dancers. Don't know what happened to them though.

R.I.P. Dan Robbins - you gave a lot of pleasure to a lot of people!
toners
Cheshire
toners is male  toners has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 11:30 AM

Re: Painting by numbers....

I remember the 'painting by numbers' as well- those tiny pots of oil paints.
A good start to getting used to handling oils and then experimenting with colour mixing and blending effects. I never gave a thought to anyone inventing the idea- what a legacy he leaves.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top