Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 03:53 PM

Re: Switzerland getting EU treatment similar to the UK.

Originally Posted by Bread ->
If only it were that simple.

I guess Juncker and co won't get that 39 billion after all ... maybe your country should cough up instead.
How many posters here have told you that half of that amount is due for services rendererd? Talking about thick in the head!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Solasch, Believe me, we want to quickly walk away. Problem is, rather than trying to make out we are standing there quivering with fear, Brits know that it is the EU themselves that are quaking at the thought that their largest contributor is actually, really leaving. After all, the main instigators of the EU - Germany, is in recession, Italy is almost bankrupt and France has experienced months of civil unrest against the French elite.
Do tell me why we would ever want to remain in a ship that has been holed and sinking?
You are not the biggest contributor, the netherlands is:
https://www.cbs.nl/en-gb/news/2016/5...u-this-century
The effects you describe are temporary, look and behold how an economic union buffers these effects.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 04:02 PM

As will be any detrimental effect if there is one here. Nothing is going to happen permanently never does, things change. Wasn't that long ago Germany was held up as something special now not so much. We are an Island race something Europe has never seemed to understand, we have always stood alone and want to do that again as it's in our blood. Well in most of us some seem to have forgotten their roots.
Unsure
UK
Unsure is male  Unsure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
We are not alone.

The EU appears to be going after Switzerland in much the same way as it has negotiated with the UK.

https://news.sky.com/story/why-the-c...talks-11565976

Welcome to the world of big business.
We are a small trading nation we have to trade with other large nations in order to survive.
Wait till we are forced to accept the ISDS system with a USA deal and USA corporations start to sue the UK government when we threaten their profits.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
The effects you describe are temporary, look and behold how an economic union buffers these effects.

From that article

"
Brexit

As mentioned earlier, the United Kingdom is the largest net contributor to the EU after Germany. The UK’s planned withdrawal from the EU is therefore likely to have serious consequences for monetary flows withing the EU. Since the UK is a net contributor, Brexit may leave a gap in the EU budget which needs to be filled by the other member states.
Therefore, the CBS survey also projects what EU funding would have been like in recent years had the United Kingdom not been a member. Subsequently, the possible impact on Dutch contributions is outlined in several scenarios, as well as the additional contributions required from the Netherlands if there had not been a British EU membership."
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 04:34 PM

Apology, Hold my hands up, I meant to type one of the biggest contributors.

I would be very careful bragging about the greatness of the EU as a union. Have you never heard of the saying "The bigger they are, the harder they fall". It has always been the same with dictatorships.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 04:48 PM

How many posters here have told you that half of that amount is due for services rendererd? Talking about thick in the head!
There is nothing in law that says we have to pay it.

You're bankrupt on the 29th March at precisely 23:00:01.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 04:48 PM

It will be interesting to see whether the EU will even want to grant us an extension with the thought in their minds that dozens of British MEP's will be helping to choose the next esteemed leaders in the EU Parliament commencing in July. That should be interesting. Besides, it only takes one EU member to use their veto.

Perhaps the EU's intransigence and their belief that being a powerful 27, they could afford to play hardball with the UK over Brexit, will come back to haunt them. No-one will deserve it more.
Next, I hope those found wanting in our own Parliament will get their just rewards too.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

19-03-2019, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Apology, Hold my hands up, I meant to type one of the biggest contributors.

I would be very careful bragging about the greatness of the EU as a union. Have you never heard of the saying "The bigger they are, the harder they fall". It has always been the same with dictatorships.
For that matter, look at the british empire.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

19-03-2019, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
There is nothing in law that says we have to pay it.

You're bankrupt on the 29th March at precisely 23:00:01.
Bread, you're way out of your league!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top