Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 11:32 PM

Re: Look Out, The Lunch Time Crowd Are About!

Originally Posted by OldFogey ->
It's not "instead of", you comic; it's "as well as".

Don't be so paranoid & insecure.
No, I was right first time......'instead of'....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
Yes, for a vote in general elections not ad hoc referendums that are by default advisory only
What does that mean? Are you saying that women should not have voted on Europe?
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Would all the people who identify themselves as European instead of British can leave now before the big day next Friday...

There will be a Eurostar waiting to take them through the channel tunnel before it's bricked up next Saturday...

The buffet car will be well stocked with Bratwurst, Sauerkraut, and cheap French Red Wine....
Can I remind you that the Anglo/Saxons came from the European mainland. If anything, the Celts have been here longer but even they were a European culture. We’re all mongrels, we’re all European, to say anything else is xenophobic nonsense.
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
Can I remind you that the Anglo/Saxons came from the European mainland. If anything, the Celts have been here longer but even they were a European culture. We’re all mongrels, we’re all European, to say anything else is xenophobic nonsense.
Bang-on the money, weedeek.

There are people commenting on this thread that really do need a history lesson or two.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by OldFogey ->
Bang-on the money, weedeek.

There are people commenting on this thread that really do need a history lesson or two.
A historic figure made the following speech:

As I told marchers at*last Saturday’s demonstration*in London, I dismiss with contempt the image of us as an island wrapped in a union jack, glorying in the famous phrase that captured, for so many, Winston Churchill’s spirit of defiance in 1940: “Very well, alone”. I was there. I saw our army evacuated, our cities bombed, our convoys sunk. Churchill did everything in his power to end this isolation. Alone was never Churchill’s hope or wish: it was his fear ...

Margaret Thatcher would have been appalled to see Britain excluded from the top table.*Theresa May dashed across the Channel*last week, only to be excluded from a meeting of our former partners, and presented with a take-it-or-leave-it offer. That is what the Brexiteers have done to our country: a national humiliation, made in Britain, made by Brexit.

Michaes heseltine. His ful speech can be found on youtube.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
No, that’s not what I said

What It does means is that the first referendum was held in the UK in 1973 and in the time of suffrage referendums were considered to be unconstitutional and that the suffragettes purely wanted the right to vote in general elections.

Whilst I’m no expert I cannot however account for your lack of basic historical knowledge on both suffrage and referendums
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
But perhaps in the second referendum a maximum voting age should be introduced? Voting only by those that benefit from or are afflicted by the outcome of the vote.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
A historic figure made the following speech:

As I told marchers at*last Saturday’s demonstration*in London, I dismiss with contempt the image of us as an island wrapped in a union jack, glorying in the famous phrase that captured, for so many, Winston Churchill’s spirit of defiance in 1940: “Very well, alone”. I was there. I saw our army evacuated, our cities bombed, our convoys sunk. Churchill did everything in his power to end this isolation. Alone was never Churchill’s hope or wish: it was his fear ...

Margaret Thatcher would have been appalled to see Britain excluded from the top table.*Theresa May dashed across the Channel*last week, only to be excluded from a meeting of our former partners, and presented with a take-it-or-leave-it offer. That is what the Brexiteers have done to our country: a national humiliation, made in Britain, made by Brexit.

Michaes heseltine. His ful speech can be found on youtube.
That is what our politicians have done, Theresa May in particular.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
No, that’s not what I said

What It does means is that the first referendum was held in the UK in 1973 and in the time of suffrage referendums were considered to be unconstitutional and that the suffragettes purely wanted the right to vote in general elections.

Whilst I’m no expert I cannot however account for your lack of basic historical knowledge on both suffrage and referendums
I think you'll find that was in 1975 and it was a vote to remain or leave in contrast to the 2016 one which was leave or remain.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I think you'll find that was in 1975 and it was a vote to remain or leave in contrast to the 2016 one which was leave or remain.
I was including the Nortern Ireland Border Poll which is recognised as being the first referendum. The 1975 one was the first UK wide referendum

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top