Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 04:04 PM

Re: Replace ‘first past the post’ voting with ‘Proportional Representation’.

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Please excuse my ignorance on lack of knowledge regarding proportional representation. I have just started reading up on it and trying to take it in.

Instead of having one person, one vote in each of the areas where one would go to vote. That area, depending on its size, would instead have a number of seats.

For example, if there were 10 seats up for grabs in that area and the Tories usually always win, under PR, if they got 40% of the vote, they would gain 4 seats. If the second most popular party came in second with 20% of the vote, they would get 2 seats. And so on.

Is that how it works? So say, if Nigels party only got 10% of the vote, instead of losing, he would get at least 1 seat to represent us.?

Please could someone tell me if I am correct. If so, I quite like the idea of PR as it would prevent us being stuck with the usual two numpties parties and more opportunity for other parties to represent their supporters.

Yes, taking areas as a starting point. In that instance it is possible that a small, only locally relevant, party gets a seat in parliament. In your example 10% of the votes would be sufficient for that. In this way local issues would be debated in parliament.

If you take the whole country as a constituency, to get a seat in parliament a small, single-issue, party can gain acces and be heard in parliament. In the netherlands we have a party defending rights of people 50+ (4 seats of 150 Available). Or a party ultra right, forum for democracy, 2 seats. For local issue parties it is almost impossible to get in parliament.
Fosterbrad
London UK
Fosterbrad is male  Fosterbrad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 04:09 PM

Precise analysis. Every vote would count. So if 20 million votes are cast in an general election and say UKIP received 1 million of those votes they would receive 5% of all seats in the elected assembly (Parliament). So will you sign my petition Shropshire girl?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 04:18 PM

I most certainly would if it is as you say. As I added to my original post, we have a safe Tory seat here, having held it since 1835, only losing once in 1904 to the Libs, and regaining it at the next general election. PR seems a much fairer way forward for a fairer election. One only has to look at how well Nigel did last time but never gained one seat!.

So thank you both for the explanation. Unless anyone proves to the contrary, it seems the right way to go.
Fosterbrad
London UK
Fosterbrad is male  Fosterbrad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 04:33 PM

I most certainly would if it is as you say. As I added to my original post, we have a safe Tory seat here, having held it since 1835, only losing once in 1904 to the Libs, and regaining it at the next general election. PR seems a much fairer way forward for a fairer election. One only has to look at how well Nigel did last time but never gained one seat!.

So thank you both for the explanation. Unless anyone proves to the contrary, it seems the right way to go.
Furthermore, ‘ Shropshire-girl’ eight in ten developed democracies use some form of proportional representation - systems that aim to make sure all votes matter equally and seats match votes. The UK does not, and as a result we are blighted with parliaments that don’t reflect the people, usually to the benefit of the Conservative party
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 04:47 PM

Still researching PR. Could someone tell me, could PR lead to tactical voting?
Fosterbrad
London UK

24-03-2019, 05:13 PM

Still researching PR. Could someone tell me, could PR lead to tactical voting?
When so many votes are wasted under First Past the Post, the rational question for a vote to ask stops being "who do I want to represent me?" and becomes "who can I vote for to keep out the candidate I like the least?" The result is tactical voting: voting for someone you don't really want to win just to keep out the person you dislike the most.

In the 2017 election there was a huge increase in the number of people forced to vote tactically. 20-30% of voters said they planned to vote tactically to avoid wasting their votes or “letting in” their least favourite candidate - up from 9% in 2015.

Political parties also try to spread their resources tactically - sometimes not standing candidates to avoid "splitting the vote" between themselves and other parties. This reduces choice for voters and leaves some areas neglected by politicians.

Proportional Representation means there's no need to vote tactically. Everyone can vote for whoever they believe in without fear of wasting their vote or ‘letting the other side in’. Parties don't have to worry about splitting the vote, so don't have to deprive voters of choice by choosing not to stand.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 05:20 PM

From what I now understand(thank you for explaining it) it does sound good and we do need parties to work together IMO as I think most parties have some good ideas we could use. But could it work here where we have such an adversarial system ? could our parties actually sit together and talk instead of bawling at each other and treating parliament like a school playground ?

At the moment even inside the parties there is war that doesn't give me much confidence it could work well.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 05:26 PM

Signed.
Fosterbrad
London UK

24-03-2019, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Signed.
Many thanks to both ‘Monday’s Child’ and ‘Uncle Joe’ for signing the petition.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 06:34 PM

I'm not sure if this is what I'd like.
I get fed up of having to vote in General Elections only for the parties which are represented in my area. If there's no candidate for the party I want to vote for I have to choose another.
I'd like a choice of all parties where the Government is concerned. I'd like my choice of local MP from all parties, if one party wins and doesn't have anyone in my area they should appoint one.
I'd like to vote separately for my choice of PM. I'd like each minister to be chosen for their experience in the field of their ministry no matter which party they belong to.
Best person for each job not swapping around with no knowledge.
Opposition would be made up of next in line for their job.

Multi-party government or do away with party politics all together.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top