Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 07:26 PM

Re: Replace ‘first past the post’ voting with ‘Proportional Representation’.

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Still researching PR. Could someone tell me, could PR lead to tactical voting?
In one respect it is possible. For every party you can vote on, there is a list of candidates. When voting for a party you can vote for any of the candidates. All votes count as votes for the party. But:
If it is expected that a party will get enough votes for 10 seats, and you are number 12 on the list (here party machinations come in), you know beforehand you won't make it to parliament. The exception is, if you have as number 12, more votes than number 10, you get the seat. That's preferential voting. So if you are more popular than the other candidates, of your party you still will get a seat in parliament.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I'm not sure if this is what I'd like.
I get fed up of having to vote in General Elections only for the parties which are represented in my area. If there's no candidate for the party I want to vote for I have to choose another.
I'd like a choice of all parties where the Government is concerned. I'd like my choice of local MP from all parties, if one party wins and doesn't have anyone in my area they should appoint one.
I'd like to vote separately for my choice of PM. I'd like each minister to be chosen for their experience in the field of their ministry no matter which party they belong to.
Best person for each job not swapping around with no knowledge.
Opposition would be made up of next in line for their job.

Multi-party government or do away with party politics all together.
Certainly interesting TessA I think I like the idea of people being qualified to do each job especially, at the moment we have education ministers who can't spell or add up, financial people again can't add up and anyone in charge of the police should have some knowledge of the job.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I'd like each minister to be chosen for their experience in the field of their ministry no matter which party they belong to.

You're living in dreamland Tessa, I'd settle for them having experience of something in the real world rather than just doing PPE at university before going straight into politics.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Signed !!!

This is just the beginning matey, I also want to see the HoL abolished, to be replaced with a democratically elected second chamber, convert MPs into delegates, and abolish the Monarchy - again to be replaced with a democratically elected President.
I agree with you on all points!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
I agree with you on all points!
Me too. We have all that already except a president, and you can see how we prosper in the EU. I suggest you begin realising your list, and become a modern democracy. Then consider leaving the EU again.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 09:33 PM

We have MMP, (Mixed Member Proportional) and we are generally very happy with it. When we had FPP system we often got a party in charge who just happened to get more than any other party but nowhere near 50% or more. Every election we get 2 votes. One for a party and one for the candidate.
Why do you need an upper house? And God forbid we ever have a president!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
We have MMP, (Mixed Member Proportional) and we are generally very happy with it. When we had FPP system we often got a party in charge who just happened to get more than any other party but nowhere near 50% or more. Every election we get 2 votes. One for a party and one for the candidate.
Why do you need an upper house? And God forbid we ever have a president!

If we get rid of Mrs Windsor or Charlie the turd, you'll need to find your own head of state, and therefore will need a 'President' or sovereign of New Zealand.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 09:55 AM

Scottish Parliament elections use the Additional Member System in order to arrive at a more proportional result. Look it up, I’m not going to try and explain it here, it’s a bit complicated. I’m not saying it’s any better than any other proportional system, just another system to consider as I agree that the first past the post system must go. Interestingly enough, council elections up here are by the Single Transferable Vote system.
Westminster failed to agree to alternative to The House of Lords (2003 I believe), now there’s a surprise! It’s a beacon of privilege as is the monarchy. The disproportionate influence of Oxbridge in Parliament and the Civil Service is an insult to democracy!
However, turkeys don’t vote for Christmas, so don’t expect the Tories and the Labour parties to lead on change.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Fosterbrad ->
Precise analysis. Every vote would count. So if 20 million votes are cast in an general election and say UKIP received 1 million of those votes they would receive 5% of all seats in the elected assembly (Parliament). So will you sign my petition Shropshire girl?
Now I have taken the time to study PR and finally understanding it more, I most certainly will sign your petition. I understand it has more than 100,000 signatures.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 12:04 PM

Hi, hope this helps. I did put it on the Political forum but thought it may explain as well on here.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top