Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 05:18 PM

Re: To Peel or not to Peel? That is the Question !

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I always learned, that the goodness was under the skin and that the dark green outer leaves of say, a cabbage are the most nutritious.
I usually scrape new potatoes, if they are easy to scrape. If not, l scrub them and cook them.
Ditto - same as Art.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 05:22 PM

I use a scouring pad one of the green nylon types put potatoes in large bowl of water and gently rub them in the scourer. Takes seconds to get the thin skin off new potatoes.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 07:24 PM

I don't peel any potatoes, ever.

What few nutrients there are in potatoes are in/just under the skins, so blow me if I'm going to peel them off!

If people don't like it, tough!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Exactly - a lot of the goodness is in the skins. You don't peel jacket spuds do you, so why would you peel new potatoes?

T'aint natural.
Believe me, HWMO and I never peel new potatoes, but the two gorillas have never liked skins on their potatoes. (never used to be a problem when they were at home and the Jersey Royals (as they used to be) came into season. I could scrape 3/4 in one minute. But these new potatoes all seem to be anything but scrapable!so it's a matter of gently peeling them instead. Groan!

It's the same if we have family get-together meals here. I could be doing something like barbecue chicken with a jacket potato. I usually have to bake them first, scoop all the potato out before mashing it and adding whatever such as sweetcorn or mushrooms into the mix before placing the mash back into the skins to be baked again. At least that way, I don't have to wince as they pull a face wishing they were having chips instead. (And they still always leave the skins!).
I blame only me for spoiling them when they were under this roof. (I don't mind really, they are my boys and I love spoiling them at every opportunity,)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top