Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
oneandonly
New Member!
Devon
oneandonly is female 

24-03-2019, 09:45 PM

Re: Tea Or Dinner?

I’m West Country,when we were growing up we had dinner mid day,[my dad used to come home for dinner] tea about 430 and supper about 730. But now I just have lunch around 1230 and tea around 530...
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 10:00 PM

We have something to eat shortly after midday and call it lunch. Dinner happens at around 6.00 p.m.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 10:44 PM

9:00PM now, time for a bit o' supper. A cup of coffee and a Grey Dunn's Caramel Wafer should fill the spot.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
What about high tea?
I thought that was something like high five, and you would have to catch it?
Tea - usually a sandwich, cake and/or biscuits - anything that can be eaten with the fingers.

High tea - usually more substantial - maybe cold chicken and salad - things that require a knife and fork.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 11:43 PM

My meals are usually Breakfast, lunch and dinner - supper later if still hungry but that doesn't happen often. Tea - only if I have guests in the afternoon.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I dunked a Digestive in my Tea, it tasted horrible with Gravy.

Mmm! biscuits and gravy, lovely.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 10:38 AM

At school we had school dinners not school lunches.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Getting the idea for this thread from Ffosse, where he said, he’d like the new potatoes in the pic, on another thread, for his tea.
I wondered, how many of you call your evening meal, tea?
I call it dinner!
I think it’s a regional thing, as my ex partner who was from West Lancashire, called the evening meal ‘tea’.

I say, dinner what do you say?
Morning Art, growing up it was always Breakfast, Dinner and Tea.
Then went to live in London and the posh ones taught me that dinner at lunchtime was not the thing to say!
so it became Breakfast, elevenses, lunch, afternoon tea and Dinner, in that order!

Now it is breakfast,( brunch if late breakfast), Lunch and Dinner in that order.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Yes, UJ. I suppose, you’re right in that a cup of tea, sandwiches and a piece of cake, are tea but a plate of meat and veg is dinner!

Sorry, about going off topic but my daughter’s boyfriend who lives in Brighton sent me some maple bacon from Dave Ovett’s butchers in Brighton|Hove and it was the best l have ever tasted!

I know precisely where that shop is Angel darlin' - inside the 'open market' - I used to frequent that establishment myself, but since I now get my shopping delivered I don't buy any food shopping when I'm down that way. (The 'Open Market' is just at the bottom of the hill from me - about 1/2 mile away.
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 07:33 PM

Isn't it more the type of meal rather than the time you have it.
A cooked meal with veg etc is dinner whether it's at 1 o'clock or 6 o'clock ,
but tea is more sandwich, cake, toast, biscuits, usually afternoon or early evening.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top