Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 12:14 PM

Chequers Meeting

When I heard that there was another meeting at Chequers, it put a bit of a shiver down my spine ... remember what happened last time ?

Anyway, rumour has it that the meeting was May trying to persuade the Tory Brexiteers to back Mays crappy deal and if they did, she would resign. However, May would not give a firm date so the Brexiteers will not back it because they simply don't trust her to her word.

I can't say I blame them.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 02:29 PM

Re: Chequers Meeting

Originally Posted by Bread ->
When I heard that there was another meeting at Chequers, it put a bit of a shiver down my spine ... remember what happened last time ?

Anyway, rumour has it that the meeting was May trying to persuade the Tory Brexiteers to back Mays crappy deal and if they did, she would resign. However, May would not give a firm date so the Brexiteers will not back it because they simply don't trust her to her word.

I can't say I blame them.
Don't you fear the alternative? If her deal goes down the drain, theresa travels to brussels and requests a long extension. Thereby forcing the UK to participate in the europarliament elections.
After elections the EU is not the EU you voted on in the 2016 referendum. That necessitates a new referendum, including the option to remain. The outcome is easily guessed taking into account the difference in marche of the million+ and farages stroll.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 02:47 PM

Hi

We are not going back to the EU in it's present state.

Get rid of Merkel and Macron and it is a possibility.

The EU is doing you no favours either.

Time to kick France and Germany into touch.

They do not comply with the Rules.

I have to say, as an Ex Enforcement Officer I have the highest regards for the Dutch.

Lovely people and so professional.

You, the Polish and the Portuguese are the best allies we could ever have.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Don't you fear the alternative? If her deal goes down the drain, theresa travels to brussels and requests a long extension. Thereby forcing the UK to participate in the europarliament elections.
After elections the EU is not the EU you voted on in the 2016 referendum. That necessitates a new referendum, including the option to remain. The outcome is easily guessed taking into account the difference in marche of the million+ and farages stroll.

The EU would be taken apart from the inside by UK Eurosceptic MEPs.

If anything your the one that should be worried
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

You, the Polish and the Portuguese are the best allies we could ever have.
And you still have them, as your allies, and friends. But we are beyond comprehension about you wanting to leave a union that is beneficial to you.
To make it more direct. I have seen many of your posts on this forum, and I consider you a reasonable and knowledgable, even wise, man. But you seem so blinded, especially where it concerns juncker. Juncker's time within the EU is running out, perhaps to be replaced by a better man, perhaps not, because in the end they are all politicians.
But, sorry to say, so are the two of us, I mean to be replaced by a younger generation that going to make mistakes, but hopefully not ours. If I read the british young correctly, they are much more internationally minded than our generation, thanks to the world wide web. They know much more about other cultures and countries than we could ever gather from books and television. They embrace that world, don't consider Europe a threat. Yet they are no less fanatic in being british. Whereas you define yourself as english (welsh, scots) and british, they consider themselves english (welsh, scots), british and european.
If the past has taught me anything, it is that life is to adopt. Not to adapt their way of living, but to make way for them. As we ourselves have seen in the sixties, in the end the situation is set to the hands of the young, and that is as it should be. Sooner or later there will be one europe, if not the young have made the same mistakes as our (grand)fathers.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

25-03-2019, 03:44 PM

I'm not afraid for that. The europarliament functions on the principles of proportional representation. If the UK mep's would want to influences the EU's policies, they have to participate in a faction. The present period has shown what the likes of farage are able to achieve there.
In the europarliament there is no such thing as veto. That is reserved for the rulings of the european commission.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

25-03-2019, 04:04 PM

I'm not afraid for that. The europarliament functions on the principles of proportional representation. If the UK mep's would want to influences the EU's policies, they have to participate in a faction. The present period has shown what the likes of farage are able to achieve there.
In the europarliament there is no such thing as veto. That is reserved for the rulings of the european commission.

Factor in France Austria Italy Germany and Greece then you have really big problem.

The next elections will most likely trash the EU parliament. Forget getting your budget approved
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

25-03-2019, 04:09 PM

Factor in France Austria Italy Germany and the Greece then you have really big problem.

The next elections will most likely trash the EU parliament. Forget getting your budget approved
Do you actually think these countries would block the budget, which consists of subsidies to their universities, farners etc? Wake up man!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

25-03-2019, 04:21 PM

Do you actually think these countries would block the budget, which consists of subsidies to their universities, farners etc? Wake up man!

Yes they will demand more money

Look at what happened with Italy last year
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 04:32 PM

Hi Bread

That is simply not going to happen.

Many want to change it, and they will.

The only ones leaving are us, the UK.

We need to leave, simply because our Politicians are not up to the job.

Macron and Merkel are up for a kicking, a big one.

Both France and Germany are in breach of Euro Rules.

I was a reluctant Leave Voter, but left with no choice.

Our Politicians are simply not up to the job.

The French Farmers can get stuffed and Merkel had no right at all to open up the Borders and put us all at risk.

She did this because she wanted to be the next UN General Secretary, as simple as.

This is not on, our Politicians are voted in to look after us, not themselves.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top