Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 08:15 AM

Re: Getting the car serviced

Folks seem to be correlating vehicle safety with servicing, there is no connection as such, brakes, steering, suspension, tyres even are no concern of a mechanic servicing a car, consumables are, fluids, filters etc.
The MOT test looks at these safety aspects, all car engines nowadays are engineered to such a standard that they will happily see 100.000 miles without seeing a spanner on them. Imo.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I took my car into today to get its rubber band changed (5years or 100000km according to the manual). I had just returned home when they rang and told me it was a model with a timing chain so it didn't need doing!

Wasted morning but much cheaper. I thought all modern cars had rubber timing belts these days but obviously not.
Cam Chains bring with them there own set of concerns, they are not totally maintenance free.

But should still see 100.000 miles without problem.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Cosmetic damage that had been rather badly touched in, just cos folks pay for a service once a year don't stop um being a clumsy ass.
Oh, I see what you mean. I don't think servicing takes much notice of dented bodywork unless it's considered hazardous

How come you didn't notice it when you had a look at the car?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 12:17 PM

Folks seem to be correlating vehicle safety with servicing, there is no connection as such, brakes, steering, suspension, tyres even are no concern of a mechanic servicing a car, consumables are, fluids, filters etc.
That depends on the service you have: a 6 month service will do what you have described, an annual service should go over the car with a toothcomb. We don't have MOTs here so faults can only get picked up by annual servicing.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 12:32 PM

What? No MOT's there? I never knew that BV. You are lucky.
My garage does what they call "an interim service" or "A full service", so you choose which you want.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

08-11-2013, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
What? No MOT's there? I never knew that BV. You are lucky.
My garage does what they call "an interim service" or "A full service", so you choose which you want.
I'd rather have MOTs Mups, it would be cheaper! I think many here would use that instead of a full service.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2013, 12:36 PM

Mmm, never thought of that.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2013, 04:28 AM

The MOT test looks at these safety aspects, all car engines nowadays are engineered to such a standard that they will happily see 100.000 miles without seeing a spanner on them. Imo.
Evidence would seem to indicate that the MOT or its equivalent make absolutely no difference to road safety. NSW has a compulsory annual road test for vehicles, some states do, others don't but the accident rates are virtually the same. Whether the accident occurs in an urban or rural area has a far bigger bearing on the outcome.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

09-11-2013, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Evidence would seem to indicate that the MOT or its equivalent make absolutely no difference to road safety. NSW has a compulsory annual road test for vehicles, some states do, others don't but the accident rates are virtually the same. Whether the accident occurs in an urban or rural area has a far bigger bearing on the outcome.
Spose so, it don't matter how often your brakes are serviced if you don't bother pressing them.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

09-11-2013, 03:23 PM

But I'd like to know that when I press them they are going to work!

I was at a set of traffic lights once, foot went onto the clutch, gear went into first ready to pull off as the lights turned green and the clutch pedal shot to the floor and stayed there. I had to be pushed off the road as I was then blocking it.

The mechanic told me how to look for a clutch going and said that had I had it serviced, they would have spotted it and warned me it needed replacing. I was lucky it happened when it did - had I been going very fast, things could have turned out very differently.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top