Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 01:20 PM

Ford Focus 'problem'?

Sorry, didn't know where else to put this but I was wondering if anyone could help?

My car went into the garage on Friday to have the fuel sender / pump replaced.

The garage managed to break the sealing ring and they can't get another one 'til Tuesday so I've got a manky Ford Focus as a courtesy car.

I picked it up @ 19:00 last night after waiting all flippin' day for them and I was more concerned about getting home and having something to eat than actually checking the thing, in the dark, but this morning I've had to go and get petrol in it because the empty light was on - typically - but then I noticed the Engine Warning Light is on all the time.
I need the car to get to work because I start at 08:00 so I don't know what to do now because the garage is shut!

I've looked on the 'net and found that this could be a PCB fault but the problem is I just don't know!

The mechanic checked out the car before I took it but it was all a bit rushed.
I saw him start the engine and move the car and he left it running for a while too so he MUST have seen this light was on when he checked it surely?

I've only done a mile getting petrol today and 500 yards last night!

What do I do - assume it's a false indication? sevmk2
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 01:33 PM

Re: Ford Focus 'problem'?

Engine warning light? Don't mean the oil pressure light do you? First thing is to make sure there is sufficient oil in it but even so I wouldn't chance driving it. Might be a busted pressure valve but maybe not. No oil pressure bye bye bearings etc.

If, on the other hand, you mean the charging light well you might get to work and back - then again maybe not.

All a bit chancy isn't it.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 01:40 PM

If it's the circular red light with 'teeth' and an exclamation mark in it it could be anything.
Mine had it a couple of months ago, the computer was reset and it went away.
It recently returned and I'm having car looked at tomorrow
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 01:51 PM

It's a yellow light on the left of the dashboard with a small stylised engine on it.

On my car that's the Engine Warning Light indicating an engine problem and the handbook in this Focus says the same thing; it is an Engine Fault warning.
That's why I looked it up on the 'net because the garage is shut today.

On a Ford Focus Forum there were two or three references to this, one saying a PCB corrosion fault that gives an erroneous Fault message, another saying it's a spark plug / coil problem, like maybe a loose lead, (can't actually see anything obvious!) and another saying that the Fault light on the Diagnostic Test System just needs resetting!

Temperature seems fine but then I've only done about 1.3 miles in it. stevmk2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 02:01 PM

Steve, I've got a ford focus, and it's always been a safe and reliable car for me. However, I have just had a look in my handbook for you and regarding the 'engine warning light' it says the following, if it's any help:

Illuminates when the ignition is switched on. It should extinguish as soon as the engine starts.
If it illuminates with the engine running, it indicates a malfunction. Have this checked as soon as possible.
If it flashes when driving, reduce the vehicle speed immediately. If it continues to flash, avoid heavy acceleration and high engine speeds, and have your vehicle checked immediately."

There is also the 'Multi-function warning light' which covers the automatic transmission/cooling system, but that only says much the same, about there being a malfunction, unfortunately it is not more specific.

Probably not alot of help, but that's the best I can do I'm afraid.
(P.S. Just read somewhere else it might be the coil needs replacing).
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

24-11-2013, 02:34 PM

Thanks Mups.
This car does have a booklet so I looked it up there first - it says what you said but I can't get it checked before Monday and I need it for work!

I don't get paid if I don't go in to work and at the moment I've got too much to cover now to be able to take any time off.
Problem is that where I work the nearest I can get to it is 4 miles away then walk on a country road with no footpath for about an hour but the earliest train that I can get doesn't allow enough time for me to even do that. stevmk2
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 02:42 PM

On fords, it usually means one of the two Lambda Sensors is malfunctioning, it won't make any difference to the way the car runs.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

24-11-2013, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
On fords, it usually means one of the two Lambda Sensors is malfunctioning, it won't make any difference to the way the car runs.
Good thinking there spitfire!

I had that with an Astra - forgot about that!! Thanks!! stevmk2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 02:47 PM

Does the garage have more than 1 courtesy car I wonder? If so, I think I would be waiting outside as soon as they open and insist on them swapping cars for you?
Or isn't there anyone from work who could pick you up to help out?
Wouldn't your employers be reasonable if you told them you would be an hour or two late, but would get there a.s.a.p?
Just some more thoughts . . .
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2013, 02:47 PM

If the car is running okay, just keep using it, my car has an engine management light that sometimes sticks on, it still runs okay, if I stop the engine then start it again it goes off.

Plus the car isn't yours, so don't worry if it blows up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top