Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2013, 01:03 PM

Fathers-in-law.

What is it with Fathers-in-law that they always seem to get more respect (maybe respect is the wrong word here, less hassle might be better) from their Sons/Daughters-in-law than Mothers-in-law get? I have one of each, S.I.L and D.I.L, the D.I.L ,who is Italian affectionally calls me Papa Jimmy but she calls the wife Mrs. Mac, the S.I.L just calls me Jimmy and the wife again Mrs.Mac. I never had any rows with either of them, the wife has had a few though. Why have I heard hundreds of Mother-in-law jokes and not one Father-in-law joke?, are we a protected species?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2013, 01:14 PM

Re: Fathers-in-law.

My FIL is horrible man, my MIL was lovely a real gem. Respected and loved in equal measures she was but what I feel for my FIL is close to disgust. So either we are very different family or the generalisation just doesn't work
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2013, 01:27 PM

I am a father in law to my 2 daughters spouses & they are very kind to me, always greet me with a handshake , followed by a hug.
My son's wife doesn 't know what to make of me, 10 years after they wed.

My own in-laws were JEMS>
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2013, 01:41 PM

I think there is a jealous protective streak from the Mother in law - to the DIL. Its 'her son' so beware !
I have observed this many times, my MIL was the same, took me 3 years, but I won her over. Its a stupid business, they should be happy - then everything will work smoothly.
Seems to be different for the daughters - when they wed .....another 'son' is more welcome ....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2013, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I think there is a jealous protective streak from the Mother in law - to the DIL. Its 'her son' so beware !
I have observed this many times, my MIL was the same, took me 3 years, but I won her over. Its a stupid business, they should be happy - then everything will work smoothly.
Seems to be different for the daughters - when they wed .....another 'son' is more welcome ....
You could be right I had about a year of odd behaviour by my MIL until I sat down with her and said I wasn't going anywhere and we both loved him so we should be working together to make him happy not being defensive about things and magically it all turned out for the best and we were great friends after that, she was as I said lovely !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2013, 05:14 PM

I never had a FIL, he had died when my husband was young. My MIL considered me to be another daughter and my DIL is like a daughter to me
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2013, 05:24 PM

Sensible - its the best approach to welcome the DIL or SIL isn't it = happy family ......
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

01-12-2013, 05:25 PM

Jem - is it the male comedian having a dig at us women anyway ....
Women drivers - MILs - Landladies .... could be .....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

01-12-2013, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
You could be right I had about a year of odd behaviour by my MIL until I sat down with her and said I wasn't going anywhere and we both loved him so we should be working together to make him happy not being defensive about things and magically it all turned out for the best and we were great friends after that, she was as I said lovely !
That was a good outcome Julie, over the 3 years for me, I could see her mellowing just wanted it to hurry up so we could all be happy
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2013, 05:37 PM

I've never had a father-in-law (in both of my marriages, both fathers had died long before I met my husbands) and only had one mother-in-law and I detested her and she felt the same about me (but she started it ).

I dislike my daughter-in-law but then again, so does everyone else - only my son thinks she's great.

I don't think it comes down to fathers/mothers - it's just whether or not personalities clash.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top