Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 07:27 PM

Old Bank Statements

I'm wondering how to dispose of my old bank statements, credit card statements, and similar documents?

I've had a tidy out recently and have accumulated bags of them going back months, probably years

I had a shredder but that packed up soon after I bought it
I'm very reluctant to put them in the rubbish, either paper recycling or general rubbish, because of identity theft and fraud, so what now?

It was easier when we had open fires, but you don't see many of those now -
Any suggestions would be appreciated
macywack
north west, england
macywack is male  macywack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 07:32 PM

Re: Old Bank Statements

[B]i put mine through the shredder then into the garden compost heap
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 08:20 PM

Buy another shredder, Zulu, or a garden burner thingy - those metal dustbin looking things with a little chimney on top.

I would only ever either cross-shred, or burn.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 08:24 PM

I always use a shredder for any paperwork.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 08:33 PM

Our council won't take shredded paper in the recycle bins, so all financial statements are burned in one of "those metal dustbin looking things with a little chimney on top."
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Our council won't take shredded paper in the recycle bins, so all financial statements are burned in one of "those metal dustbin looking things with a little chimney on top."

Oh stoppit you.

You know what I meant.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Oh stoppit you.

You know what I meant.
Certainly. A brazier. Not one of those under-garments you wimmin wear, but something for burning stuff in. Hmm... I suppose you could burn a bra in it.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 09:18 PM

Put all your statements into washing up bowl pour on hot water and a squirt of washing up liquid , allow to soak for 5 mins , squelch together like papier mache . No one could read it after that lot . Cheaper and easier than a shredder

Edited to add

Tear and RIP paper while soaking
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 09:19 PM

Shred or burn any financial/confidential information. And, tell your bank to stop killing trees and send electronic statements if they haven’t done so already.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 10:37 PM

Right, I think I've got the answer, it's a variation on SUSAN M's
I phoned a friend who also lives in a flat without a garden or an open fire
This is what he does -

When you've finished the washing up, tear the pages into small pieces and put them into the water
Let them soak for a while and swish them around till they've broken up into a thin porridge or slurry
Then pour it down the toilet

If you've built up a collection you'll have to work through the backlog, but once you're up to date you only need to do it once a month, if that

I've just tried it, and it looks like it works fine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top