Join for free
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 03:11 AM

Over 50s Forum Plans for 2021! (Please read - contains important information)

Hi Everyone!

As some of you may have noticed in this thread, we are planning to upgrade the forum this year. This is because the forum software we are using at the moment is very old and it is causing issues for many of you.

The new platform we will move to is much more modern... and I think you will like it! You'll be able to do things like simply post a link to a video or tweet (and sometimes even news stories) and it will automatically embed the details into the post and you'll also be able to use the forum on your mobiles and iPads much better. You'll even be able to reply to things by email!

However we'll go into the details another time, this is just a quick note to let you know I hope to start on this in the next few months, and for now, the only thing you need to do is make sure that the email address you have in your profile is current and that you have access to it - this is because when we move to the new platform your old password won't be copied over (as it is encrypted) and so you will need to use the 'reset password by email' option to get sent a password reset link via email. For now don't worry about the details as we'll post clearer instructions closer the time, just make sure the email address in your profile is valid and that you have access to it.

- You can check your email address here.

If you no longer have access to your email but do know your password, simply enter your password where it says "Enter your present password to continue:" and then enter your new email address in both 'Edit Email Address' fields ("New Email Address" and "Confirm New Email Address") then click on "Save Changes".

If you need to add a new email address but do not know your password, please PM me or if you don't have PM's yet, you can simply start a thread in the Contact Staff section.

Ok, that's all for now - I hope you're all keeping well and the start of the year has been a little kinder to you than last year!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 04:31 AM

Re: Over 50s Forum Plans for 2021! (Please read - contains important information)

Will we retain the same names?

Personally I like this software, it was what attracted me here from Friends Reunited in the first place. Most forums seem to use the same software and frankly I don't like it as much as this model. Pity this one can't be just updated.

it was like the old BBS software most places used FIDO whereas, personally, I preferred GT - it just looked better.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 09:18 AM

Re: Over 50s Forum Plans for 2021! (Please read - contains important information)

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

Personally I like this software, it was what attracted me here from Friends Reunited in the first place. Most forums seem to use the same software and frankly I don't like it as much as this model. Pity this one can't be just updated.

it was like the old BBS software most places used FIDO whereas, personally, I preferred GT - it just looked better.
Bet a lot of those sites "Went to the Dogs".
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 11:18 AM

Thanks Azz.
I think we're very lucky to have an Admin who's willing and able to develop what is already an excellent site.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the update Azz, although I've never had too much trouble using the existing software... I look forward to using the new software. Nothing in this world stays the same, and the older I get the faster the changes seem to take place, and the digital world changes faster than most things.. It is quite daunting for us 'More Mature ' members of society to make these changes, but I will bow down to your superior knowledge and expertise in this mind boggling field, and I am sure we will be having this conversation next year extolling the virtues of the super efficiency and ease of use of the new software....All the best Azz, and keep up the good work...
Brilliant forum by the way...
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks for the update Azz, although I've never had too much trouble using the existing software... I look forward to using the new software. Nothing in this world stays the same, and the older I get the faster the changes seem to take place, and the digital world changes faster than most things.. It is quite daunting for us 'More Mature ' members of society to make these changes, but I will bow down to your superior knowledge and expertise in this mind boggling field, and I am sure we will be having this conversation next year extolling the virtues of the super efficiency and ease of use of the new software....All the best Azz, and keep up the good work...
I concur with all OGF has said. No problems with the forum here either.

Azz, you are a brilliant admin & your forum is the best. I love it here, thank you for running it.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 01:48 PM

Change uh not good with change.
FB changed a while back all about making money these days and then my local footy team changed their forum and another forum I was using changed.
I stopped using them all now the OFF is changing.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 02:25 PM

Thats it my suitcase is packed just waiting to be pushed out of the door.. :lol
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 02:43 PM

I'm not good with change either, I don't have problems with the forum as it is at the moment. Hope this does not become the parting of the ways.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Yes

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thanks Azz.
I think we're very lucky to have an Admin who's willing and able to develop what is already an excellent site.
Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks both! I'm sure you'll love the new site

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I concur with all OGF has said. No problems with the forum here either.

Azz, you are a brilliant admin & your forum is the best. I love it here, thank you for running it.
Thank you and you're welcome Tiffany however Meg & Mags deserve all the credit as I haven't been here much over the last few years. In fact part of the reason for the upgrade is to make life easier for them - because on the new platform every member can work through a system of 'trust levels' - which means the more they are active the more they will be able to do things to help around the forum, such as moved threads to the most appropriate section, edit thread titles so they are more descriptive, hide 'spam', etc (however we'll post more about this later so don't worry about it for now!)

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Change uh not good with change.
FB changed a while back all about making money these days and then my local footy team changed their forum and another forum I was using changed.
I stopped using them all now the OFF is changing.
You will be fine LF - and we'll be here to guide you through it!

I didn't want to mention this till later, but since you bring it up, I am going to look into a way to remove all those horrible flashing adverts ;

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I'm not good with change either, I don't have problems with the forum as it is at the moment. Hope this does not become the parting of the ways.
You will be fine Roxy... I think you will love it then wonder how on earth you managed on this old software for so long

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Bet a lot of those sites "Went to the Dogs".
Let's hope this one doesn't

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top