Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 09:26 PM

Re: Newbie but not to Gardening

Spend a lot of time weeding. Our drive is like gravel and underneath seems a sand mix of sorts. The grass grows well in this..No screening was laid at the start so a haven for all....Do have a burner that is ok but does not really solve it long term.
Would never consider weed treatments so just have to deal with them naturally...
Some flowers that are blooming..and Lonesome...

Above is Acanthus spinous and can be a bit of a thug..flowers pop and then seed elsewhere but I cut the leaves back as the plant starts to flower and plant up the seedlings, they can go the local Charity Warehouse here that supports all animals...

Lonesome, glad of the Lilly Pads now and he/she like's to float just below them.
Chillie6
Bristol UK
Chillie6 is male  Chillie6 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 04:19 PM

Garden is looking great Dianne. You can tell you’ve put a lot of work in to get it looking like that.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 04:40 PM

How's your chillies this season....
The garden is hard work as you know, but its worth it to us...payback with all the colour this season...ok the weeds are a real nightmare but we don't want to use chemicals...so no quick cure..the burner we purchased is average, but when the roots are deep it's only burning the tops off.....
Chillie6
Bristol UK
Chillie6 is male  Chillie6 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 04:47 PM

Hot as always Dianne. Yes I know you work your self hard on the garden.
Weeds are a pain as fast as you clear them another takes it’s place. Never ending task.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France

07-06-2021, 10:26 AM

Some Photos, Random...lost a lovely honeysuckle with a rose entwined within it but they should grow again as the roots are still in one piece, caused by strong winds and a thunderstorm we had just a couple of nights ago.

Henryettta our only chicken right now...

Renovated burrow for free and the wheel was a bargain from a house sale nearby here...

Two views of the Wooden Pond Husband constructed a few years ago now. It has always suffered with green water issues,..contains loads of various gold fish, maybe 30+which is one of the causes. it has a filter and pump so should be clear, at least some of the time....

Typical Veggie Plot..fenced to keep out our free ranging Chicken, they are wreckers and only dig where you wish they wouldn't...we shout Roast Chicken and she runs away...

Early morning at the end of our Garden,when the sun shines at the church's tower it looks such a lovely sight...

Hebe the first Hebe to flower this season.

Acanthus Spinous..a thug of a plant but keep it small and it is very nice to have...pops seed out, so watch for new plants around the garden...
Chillie6
Bristol UK

07-06-2021, 12:00 PM

Garden looking great Dianne. You really appreciate how big it is from the photos.
Have seen Acanthus Spinous in various places never knew what it was called.
Don’t mind it taking over in the garden I have an area I’d be happy for it to colonise.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France

26-06-2021, 07:59 PM

Updates three weeks on....
Lavatera

Himalayan Honeysuckle (Leycesteria Formosa

Clematis

Clematis

Pond Plants & Lonesome

Lilly Pads

Cannas

Hebe, Aquilegia and more

Acanthus Spinous much large than before
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France

29-06-2021, 01:56 PM

Just looked at your Profile, and see your Stateside with the minus 15 at times..Yes that is cold and never experienced that kind of cold..Up in the Pyrenees French and Spanish sides it can happen..being mountainous would be the reason. Climate here has changed the past two years and whether that is climate changes due to pollutants or just the way for now, but hot then cold and then wet and windy..stormy we've had all that recently. But we had a period year before last where 40 degrees became the normal for a few weeks..not good at all that...
Welcome to the forum.
Once you have posted a couple I do believe you can then post photos. I love viewing other's photo's, whether gardening or other subject.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France

04-07-2021, 08:42 AM

We had to purchase a small Plot of land at the end of our Garden recently as it had outline planning permission on it. Our fears took over as had previous upsets over land.

We enquired as to the cost of the Land..15,000 Euros. That was NOT an all in Price, yet to include Fees.... Estate Agents Fees and the Solicitors fees called Notaires here in France are expensive but the Solicitors always states that most of it goes to the Government in Taxes, which could well be true...

Normally all costs are paid my the Buyer here and always make an offer as it is known that the initial For Sale price is bumped up..Usual games, I call it..

The English Estate Agents actually said straight away that 11,500 Euros would seal the deal. So that was the price we offered...

Long story of lies and deceit by the Estate Agents that would be another Thread maybe sometime.

End of, we own the land and have a wide double width gate installed within the fencing. We had to buy a heavy duty grass cutter as the land is farmland with about 8 Walnut Trees on it...Feels good that we have our peace this time around..

The Fencing to the left is the road. I drops down around 75cms. The view ahead is our elderly non speaking English Neighbours but we do manage to communicate of a sort...

p.s. Just realised I got the view of the Photo wrong..The end view is actually the end of our Garden and the Road would be to the right side and the left fence is the boundary fence to a neighbours , 'we call him Silver Teeth' and he loves conversing with my Husband, always joking...Not sure of his real name though...
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France

04-07-2021, 08:58 AM

We share spare plants and cuttings with our new young neighbours with there new baby called Romeo...love that..
now have some lettuce plants from him and we gave Antoinne some Charlotte Seed Potatoes.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top