Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 10:41 AM

Re: Fish And Chips.

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
That's not 'Fish and Chips' pauline, it wouldn't even touch the sides......This is 'Fish and Chip' with Mushy peas on the side....

I don’t have an industrial fish fryer.only a small pan...I’m thinking about buying a mini fryer, which is much bigger than my small pan.
Plus it was a small cod fillet, not a whole side of a fish.
Did you make those?

By the way, your chips look nowhere near as good as mine

Bit of a competition going on here,

Did you make that fish in batter from scratch?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
What is this English obsession with Cod? it is not a particularly nice fish, nothing wrong with it but a bit ordinary compared to Flake, Bream, Flathead or Barramundi. When I lived in England I preferred Plaice over Cod any day

An air fryer doesn't preclude home made the food just doesn't have all that fat or oil
Those fish are a bit rare in our waters Bruce, but Haddock or Sea Bass (But sea bass is tasty but a bit small) is my fish of choice...
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 10:59 AM

Is that a “ NO” OGF?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Is that a “ NO” OGF?
Sorry pauline....
Yes it's a NO, I haven't got time to fairy about when the best fish restaurant this side of the Mason Dixon line is just up the road....
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

03-07-2021, 11:33 AM

Sorry pauline....
Yes it's a NO, I haven't got time to fairy about when the best fish restaurant this side of the Mason Dixon line is just up the road....

You can’t really compare my fish and chips to theirs, you have never tasted mine.

My son eats out a lot on business meetings...only a few restaurants have come up better than my cooking....which cost a fortune to dine at in London.

No one has come up to my homemade fish and chips he tells me......not yet..not even his partner who is a food critic for a famous company..

My strength has always been cooking..was a cook in residential/ nursing homes for a number of years.

Quite basic food cooked though...as their tummies couldn’t take a lot of spices etc.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 11:38 AM

Those fish are a bit rare in our waters Bruce, but Haddock or Sea Bass (But sea bass is tasty but a bit small) is my fish of choice...
One of the great benefits of Flake (apart from the taste) is that there are never any bones

When I first came to Australia in the 60s fish and chips in more out of the way places along the Queensland coast was a bit of a gamble as to what colour it would be.

It was usually whatever was caught locally - I think I ate fish (and chips) of almost every colour of the rainbow in those days.

You get a fair choice these days unless you specify you will generally get Flake which is excellent (and my preference) but most places offer a choice of fish from Blue Grenadier to Flathead. My local favourite is Bream I used to catch them at my work many years ago

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 11:41 AM

What is this English obsession with Cod? it is not a particularly nice fish, nothing wrong with it but a bit ordinary compared to Flake, Bream, Flathead or Barramundi. When I lived in England I preferred Plaice over Cod any day

An air fryer doesn't preclude home made the food just doesn't have all that fat or oil

I don't think we get those fish you mentioned here though, Bruce.

I had a lovely piece of Salmon last night with chips and a small salad. I wrapped it loosely in foil with a dob of butter and stuck it in the oven. Yummy.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I never eat battered fish .
We do the fish in the frying pan only takes a few minutes and the chips in the air fryer .

Same here Muddy.
The only time I have eaten battered fish is if I have cheated and bought it from the chippy.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I don't think we get those fish you mentioned here though, Bruce.

I had a lovely piece of Salmon last night with chips and a small salad. I wrapped it loosely in foil with a dob of butter and stuck it in the oven. Yummy.
Yep, Salmon is very nice, I buy it from the fishmongers occasionally as a change but I was told our salmon is a different specie to the Atlantic Salmon which is probably the one you eat. I don't know what the difference is.

A lot of our fish have been renamed because they had different names in different states. The only one I can think of off hand is Jewfish which is now called Mulloway but was known as Butterfish is SA for example. It is pretty good eating too

I wish I was interested in fishing because I do like fish but frankly I find it a bit boring. I used to fish at one workplace because the fish liked the warm water and were easy to catch. I have all the gear I just don't do it
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-07-2021, 12:00 PM

Yep, Salmon is very nice, I buy it from the fishmongers occasionally as a change but I was told our salmon is a different specie to the Atlantic Salmon which is probably the one you eat. I don't know what the difference is.

A lot of our fish have been renamed because they had different names in different states. The only one I can think of off hand is Jewfish which is now called Mulloway but was known as Butterfish is SA for example. It is pretty good eating too

I've never heard of Jewfish or Mulloway Bruce? How did you cook yours?

Seems daft changing fish names don't it. It is much like suddenly deciding to call a Canary a Budgie instead, or an apple a banana.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top