Join for free
Page 283 of 370 « First < 183 233 273 281 282 283 284 285 293 333 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 12:51 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Thanks, Floydy, very kind of you to say so. You do a lot heavier weights though! I'm still building up, really, and it will be a long while yet before I can improve on the weights I am currently doing.

I discovered today that the "moves" the system records is more like an Intensity Level of the training session, but without a reference scale it doesn't mean much in it's own right if you get my meaning! Still, not a bad session this afternoon, although cut short because my mother was quite depressed and I thought I would visit her for tea and a natter. I still managed 83 out of 100 for the session, the Moves score is 1, 266 (pointless figure with no reference point to go by, so I won't bother with that any more) and 532 calories burnt. Total reps is 915 in 65 minutes and "trained like an athlete".

Leg Curl: 20 x 30kg, 40 x 25kg
Tricep Extension: 120 x 30kg
Shoulder Press: 50 x 15kg
Leg Extension: 20 x 25kg, 40 x 20kg
Hip Abduction: 150 x 30kg
Chest Pull: 80 x 40kg
Stomach Crunch: 60 x 50kg, 30 x 45kg
Back Extension: 60 x 50kg
Pec Deck: 80 x 40kg
Chest Press: 25 x 40kg, 35 x 35kg
Pull Down: 75 x 50kg

I also tried a new machine for the legs, which is a torture for me with my short legs, lol. I forget the name of it but you sit in it with legs spread and have to push the knees inward and then out again, and boy did I feel that one! For some reason the machine didn't record anything. I only managed about 30 reps x 30kg on that in total but I'll be feeling that in the morning. I'll have to persevere with that one, I can tell. Good news is that the stamina and breathing is excellent at the moment, and as soon as I finish on one machine I get straight onto the next one with no shortness of breath. A mini-victory!
Wonderful stuff, Tachyon! I'm loving your write-ups, it's just great to see someone training in the gym as hard as they can and making a difference to their health and it's working wonders for you.

You mention a leg machine you "sit in"? One of these I reckon bud...
Sled press:

Incline press:

The incline press is mainly for going towards brute strength as there really is no limit to the poundage you can add to that machine.
The 'sled' press is less versatile and although it's predominantly for leg training, it is a fantastic machine for strengthening the lower back muscles.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 11:09 AM

Morning Floydy. No, it's more like the Pec Deck but for knees and inner thigh muscles. It was quite funny using it as I'd used the Hip Abduction machine just prior to that and I'd done quite a few with no trouble. By the time I'd done 10 on the new machine I could really feel it and by the time I'd done 30 I thought I'd better get off or I'd never get home, lol.

EDIT: Found a link to a picture of it. https://www.technogym.com/gb/adductor-selection.html
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 01:57 PM

Morning Floydy. No, it's more like the Pec Deck but for knees and inner thigh muscles. It was quite funny using it as I'd used the Hip Abduction machine just prior to that and I'd done quite a few with no trouble. By the time I'd done 10 on the new machine I could really feel it and by the time I'd done 30 I thought I'd better get off or I'd never get home, lol.

EDIT: Found a link to a picture of it. https://www.technogym.com/gb/adductor-selection.html
Oh yes of course mate.
Known to gym goers as the Good Girls machine. The Bad Girls machine is the reverse, pulling the thighs outward.

(Use your imagination)
Tachyon
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 06:16 PM

Yes, I think everyone is glad the machines face the wall, let's put it that way!

I have short legs that aren't that flexible, and having my knees pulled apart by the machine rather like a wishbone is quite disconcerting and slightly painful.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

28-04-2019, 09:26 PM

Yes, I think everyone is glad the machines face the wall, let's put it that way!

I have short legs that aren't that flexible, and having my knees pulled apart by the machine rather like a wishbone is quite disconcerting and slightly painful.
Just use a light weight and three sets of say, 10 reps twice a week Tachyon. No need to go over the top on the reps with these machines.
They are very effective for strengthening the muscles around the hips thus keeping them flexible.
Tachyon

28-04-2019, 10:12 PM

Aye, I'll be building up gradually on that one. It's "sister" machine is easy for me, thankfully, and I can push the weights outwards with my knees without any trouble. I don't think I've ever seen the one where you have to push the weights inwards with your knees in any gym I have been in before, or at least I don't recall seeing it. I'm going to the gym tomorrow so I shall have fun with the new toy.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
OGF, I am shoe shopping again as my latest model has already been made obsolete. Admittedly, finding the right shoes is one of the very few things in life that I fret about. You would agree that aside from a helmet in some sports, shoes are probably the most important equipment out there. I just wish they weren't forever tinkering with them....
It certainly is a pain in the orthotics Surfermom, just when you think you've found the perfect pair of running shoes they go and mess about with them. I'm in the same boat as you at the moment because my all time favourite shoes have clocked up 900 miles and are well overdue for replacing.

At the moment I'm alternating them with the New Balance pair I bought in Guernsey last year, but although I have run some very fast times in the New Balance they are primarily a racing shoe and offer little in the way of cushioning, so I try not to wear them on every run.

With a couple of 'Iffy' five mile runs through the week I never really felt comfortable and decided to cut Sunday's longer run down to six. I don't think I have recovered properly from last Sunday's hard ten.

So with a little apprehension I set out to just do the minimum but was surprised to find that after the first couple of creaky miles I wasn't feeling too bad, so valour took over from common sense and I tootled around my eight mile route and finished in a poor time but in decent condition.
Tachyon

29-04-2019, 07:54 PM

Really enjoyable session today - burnt 578 calories, scored 84/100, and did a total of 1,135 reps. It's a good job I keep a rough count in my head as the Pec Dec and Pull Down machines only counted two sets, whereas I did 4 or 5 sets more. The Hip Adductor doesn't register my data key at all, but they will sort that out next time I go. I've added those into the workout list, but I will have burnt more calories and maybe scored a few points more but have no idea how to work it out so I'll stick with what the gym's console tells me for those.

Hip Abduction: 120 x 30kg
Hip Adduction: 120 x 25kg (only the second session I have used this killer!)
Stomach Crunch: 120 x 50kg
Back Extension: 120 x 50kg
Tricep Extension: 105 x 35kg
Shoulder Press: 45 x 15kg
Chest Press: 10 x 50kg, 80 x 40kg
Leg Curl: 40 x 30kg
Chest Pull: 120 x 40kg
Leg Extension: 35 x 25kg
Pec Deck: 120 x 40kg
Pull Down: 100 x 50kg

I could have stayed longer, doing less weights as I went, but I am still a little cautious about overdoing the heart. Silly, but there you go, eh. I didn't think it would have gone as well as it did as I was a bit stiff off Saturday's workout. I'm having a break until Thursday though, to give things time to settle down. Good luck everyone and have fun with your training.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-04-2019, 03:37 AM

Tachyon, another massively-repped workout bud.
I anticipate your top inner thighs will be aching somewhat today after the adductor work though. It always does with me but it's best to train every part of the legs and I think you're getting that covered now

I'll be hitting the higher reps and lower weights starting next month, toning up and keeping the belly blubber down for the forthcoming summer months

My lack of action is down to suffering with a very stiff neck which I put down to either driving with the windows open or more likely sleeping with a fan on blowing at me all yesterday morning.
This is irritating me big time as I really want to get back into my training routine. I'm going to try to do some leg work later today, however and see how that goes.

A note about my proposed jogging plans, and once a week I'll be finding a route. Nothing much, just about a mile or so around a nearby village or more suitable, one of the larger parks we have in my city. It's a bank holiday weekend so I'll surely have a slot available somewhere to venture out.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2019, 01:03 PM

Good morning! Here I sit in my worn running shoes ready to blast my way (that of course being a relative description) through the morning fog that has blanketed the beach, east and west. I like this kind of run because it kicks in the imaginative side of my brain (another relative phrase ) to give the run a different feeling altogether. Though my body is feeling sluggish, my mind and feet are ready to go. I wonder if there will be six in me today? We shall see...

Tachyon (and i am wondering how you came across your astrophysical username ), you workouts seem to be getting lengthier in the number of machines you are using, and extensive in your reps and weights. The technology seems to be motivating for you, and I am sure it's satisfying to see all that progress, especially after getting knocked back a little with that cough.

Floydy, you need to get Mrs. Floydy right on that back problem after a hot bath has loosened up your muscles some . Your running plans sound just right. If you make them a treat by trying different spots and not going distances that make you miserable, you will probably find yourself addicted in a few months. You do weights, have added cardio, is your neck telling you that flexibility training is next?

OGF, you understand what a huge deal it is to have worn out shoes. This isn't a looks thing - it's all about corrected pronation, over-pronation, and protecting knees an joints. That said, those bright blue shoes must make you look pretty sharp out there! I know I am preaching to the choir but if anyone is thinking about taking up long-distance walking or even a little jogging. The investment in good shoes is worth cost 1,000 over.

Alrighty, good people, the shores of the Gulf of Mexico await. If you see what appears to be a small beached whale on some beach cam, it's merely me having collapsed from inability .

Page 283 of 370 « First < 183 233 273 281 282 283 284 285 293 333 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top