Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Chris99
Glasgow
Chris99 is female  Chris99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 07:09 PM

Re: Has anybody had a blind dog?

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Henry is almost totally blind now, seeing only movement and very close objects.

He's now started walking around non-stop(padding?)
He goes outside for a couple of seconds then straight back in.
Round and round he goes, he's doing my head in as I can't shut the French Windows in case he needs to toilet.

He's using the garden now as walks worry him too much.
If you have the time to look after your dog then like we did/do you take care of them as they grow old. So long as they are not in pain or suffering blind dogs find their way by smell. Therefore do not move your furniture or rugs. This confuses them. Our dog that developed diabetes 4 + years ago became blind almost within a month of developing diabetes. She died at the age of 12 last January & we miss her. She was so loved & gave us love back. We had her for 6 years a dog that we rescued, we were so lucky to have had her in our lives.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 07:48 PM

There's no way I'd have him put down.
I accepted this dog(this year from a rescue centre) knowing he was going blind and deaf so he's safe.
He gives a lot of joy and is happy to play.

Henry ain't goin nowhere
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 08:52 PM

Tpin, can you describe wht you mean by circling? Is he going around room edges or simply circling anywhere in a room? The reason I ask is that we once had a cat who started fitting and also went blind due to a brain tumour. She was constantly walking along the walls of the room.
Do you think he is distressed at all?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 09:28 PM

He's not so much circling, more just plodding around, corner to corner of the room, then in and out through the French doors.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2016, 08:06 AM

My 12 yo staff has cataracts which mean she sees very little. She is calm and has adjusted well.

The pacing and apparent distress reminds me of a dog I knew with Cushing's disease.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2016, 11:27 AM

I know nothing about dogs but I did have an elderly cat who went blind(this is some years back). Turned out he had high BP and his retinas had detached. So he was put on a much lower dose of one of the tabs I take-yes it happened-he regained his eyesight. Off topic I know but I thought I would say something to make us smile.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2016, 06:43 PM

Any developments/improvement?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2016, 07:00 PM

Terry If I put a blindfold on you for a week but you still had to live, try to imagine what your priorities would be! Henry knows he is safe with you but he is trying to cope with his loss of sight and I am sure he will be fine when he manages that.Animals aren't like us and expect a doctor to cure everything, they just find a way to deal with their disability. I am sure there will be a web site that can offer you some tips if you are worried about him, but as long as he feels safe with you he will cope with a few bumps.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2016, 11:39 PM

Still think he should have a check up at the vets though (and Henry too). :lol.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2016, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Still think he should have a check up at the vets though (and Henry too). :lol.
Well maybe Henry should, but don't worry about Tpin...I can sort him out

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top