Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2015, 12:05 PM

Re: Those Recipes Books

You have just reminded me that this is something I must put my mind to after Christmas. I have a shelf full of (mostly) dust gatherers, and I simply must do something about them! One I use a lot is from the Ministry of Food and is full of jam and chutney recipes, and the best lemon curd ever.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2015, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetsue ->
You have just reminded me that this is something I must put my mind to after Christmas. I have a shelf full of (mostly) dust gatherers, and I simply must do something about them! One I use a lot is from the Ministry of Food and is full of jam and chutney recipes, and the best lemon curd ever.

If it helps I solved the problem by going through my many books and selected the few favourites that I wanted to keep.

I cut out the pages and popped them into those plastic A4 covers and then into a binder. I had my recipes and more shelf space and the charity shop got the books, minus a page or two
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2015, 02:44 PM

I have shelves full of cookery books mostly gifts, they are upstairs and seldom used.
I stick to the couple I have downstairs...
The Good Housekeeping Institute cook book and the first Delia with the black cover.
Also my home made file of tried/tested/my own adaptations of recipes.

I find many of the recipes in books don't work and I wonder it the writers have deliberately made them that way.
I also use the BBC Cooking website.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2015, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I had a clear out last year, all I kept was a very old Delia she covers most things, and a couple of dairy books from Unigate back in the day. I also have my hand written book handed down the generations anything else I source on line.
Ditto Julie!
I got rid of loads too.
The one I turn to again and again especially for this time of year is good old Delia. My friend and I always joke "you can always rely on Delia!" but it's true!
I've tried Nigella and she's rubbish with detail.
And I agree Nigel Slater is good though I don't have any books of his but I always cook the Christmas gammon a la Nigel (simmer in apple juice with veg and juniper berries etc)
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2015, 06:55 PM

I dont buy cookery books. I use the internet to find recipes often ones Ive seen on a cookery show and like.
I print them out and then put them into a plastic sleeve in a special ring binder.

When I want to cook that item I unclip the recipe and clip it up in the kitchen... No unhandy books cluttering up the place and I only have recipes I actually use.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2015, 06:57 PM

I have lots of them including a Be Ro flour recipe book from the 1940's
Although, I never ever follow a recipe I always use my years of 'expertise' and common sense.
Tuppy
South East England
Tuppy is female  Tuppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2015, 09:30 PM

I have a lot of cookery books (in fact I have a lot of books), love to try different stuff. I'm always happy to receive one as a gift. Love to also combine my love of growing food with cooking too.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2015, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I have lots of them including a Be Ro flour recipe book from the 1940's
Although, I never ever follow a recipe I always use my years of 'expertise' and common sense.
I've got that one too Malcolm! Still use a couple of the recipes out of it!

Trouble with donating the books to charity shops is that I live near Hay on Wye which has more book shops than you can shake a stick at. However, I'm having a shredder for Christmas, so may get busy with that in the New Year!
shelana80+
New Member!
United Kingdom
shelana80+ is female 

21-12-2015, 07:15 PM

I love buying books and at least cookery books could be useful-some day.Other books I am happy to give to Charity shops and share the experience but cook books I keep to myself!
shelana80+
New Member!
United Kingdom
shelana80+ is female 

21-12-2015, 07:18 PM

This sounds like an excellent idea!Thanks for the tip.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top