Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 12:45 PM

Do any of you clever cooks out there............

Have a foolproof,(you know me!) tried and tested recipe for a delicious Fish Pie? I want to have a go at making one but every recipe I find seems to always contain the ingredient Salmon which he who must obey and I really dislike. I am looking for a recipe with just white fish with a really tasty sauce and whatever else goes with it.

Thanks very much xx
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 12:48 PM

Re: Do any of you clever cooks out there............

As you only want white fish try this one. It is nice

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/25493...-fish-pie.aspx
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 12:48 PM

Find a recipe that you like the look of and substitute smoked haddock for the salmon....simples !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 12:53 PM

Hi SG the pie I make for my Granddaughter and myslf just contains good quality (not frozen) fresh haddock . I grill it usually but it can be lightly poached in milk and the liquor used in the sauce.

The drained fish is placed in a dish, topped with thick parsley sauce then creamed potato and grilled till golden brown.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 12:56 PM

Solo, thanks for that, will have a look at that recipe.

Malcolm, believe me, nothing is simples with me !!
I am one of those people that have to follow a recipe to the absolute T to ensure it is a success. I have had too many disasters or incidents with my cooking where he who must obey smiles weakly and says "it tastes really nice darling" when I know it is absolute yuk! Thanks for the haddock advice though.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

03-03-2016, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi SG the pie I make for my Granddaughter and myslf just contains good quality (not frozen) fresh haddock . I grill it usually but it can be lightly poached in milk and the liquor used in the sauce.

The drained fish is placed in a dish, topped with thick parsley sauce then creamed potato and grilled till golden brown.
Meg, that sounds really nice too but HELP! would need exact recipe to follow, pretty please.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

03-03-2016, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
As you only want white fish try this one. It is nice

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/25493...-fish-pie.aspx
Thank you Solo, why on earth couldn't I find that recipe! doh.
It is just what I am looking for. I will try this out for Monday, I will also type up Meg's recipe.

Thanks to all three for coming to the rescue.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 01:52 PM

Cut my fish pie teeth on this one and never strayed!
It's a recipe from Jilly Cooper in a fish leaflet from yonks ago!

GOLDEN GLOUCESTERSHIRE PIE

˝lb (225g) smoked fish, skinned and cubed

˝lb (225g) white fish, skinned and cubed

˝pt milk

1oz (25g) marge or butter

1oz (25g) flour

black pepper

pinch nutmeg

2oz (50g) button mushrooms if liked, sliced

4oz (125g) prawns

1lb (350g) potatoes cooked, sliced or mashed

2oz (50g) grated cheese

Preheat oven to 200° gas mark 6

1. Poach the fish in the milk for about 5 minutes. Drain, reserving ˝pt of the liquid

2. Make the sauce...in a large saucepan whisk the reserved liquid + marge/butter + flour over a gentle heat until thickened and smooth. Continue cooking for 2 mins.

3. Season with pepper and nutmeg and stir in the fish, mushrooms, and prawns. (My mil always added a couple of chopped hard boiled eggs to her fish pie at this stage)

4. Put the mixture into an ovenproof dish and arrange mash or sliced potatoes on top.

5. Sprinkle with the grated cheese.

6. Bake for about 20mins until bubbling and golden.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 02:17 PM

I don't pretend to be much of a Cooke ( sorry, cook ) but I believe recipes are for guidance only and you are at liberty to amend them as you choose. Am I right or wrong ?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I don't pretend to be much of a Cooke ( sorry, cook ) but I believe recipes are for guidance only and you are at liberty to amend them as you choose. Am I right or wrong ?
You are definitely right Alan! I will stick to a recipe once and then, next time, make adjustments to suit my tastes...... sometimes quite big changes! I sometimes create my own recipes and, so far, none of my dinner guests have died from poisoning.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top