Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 03:03 PM

Re: Do any of you clever cooks out there............

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I don't pretend to be much of a Cooke ( sorry, cook ) but I believe recipes are for guidance only and you are at liberty to amend them as you choose. Am I right or wrong ?
Depends what you are making, baking bread and cakes are a bit of science and need certain ingredients to work but fish pie has always here been a bit of a whatever I have in the fridge or freezer can be used, never make it without peas and cheese though for my lot that's absolutely the making of a fish pie.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 04:01 PM

I don't pretend to be much of a Cooke ( sorry, cook ) but I believe recipes are for guidance only and you are at liberty to amend them as you choose. Am I right or wrong ?
I think you are right, Alan. I rarely follow any recipe precisely. But each to his/her own.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 01:51 PM

Found this if its any help???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/stargazeypie_93663
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 02:39 PM

You are right Alan and I am convinced that some of the Chefs who write cookery books deliberately mislead us with incorrect recipes.

I take a basic recipe and refine it to suit my taste
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Meg, that sounds really nice too but HELP! would need exact recipe to follow, pretty please.
Sorry SG don't have one .

Golden rule buy the best quality ingredients and adjust for the number of people you intend to feed then assemble the cooked ingredients as described in my post above. What could be more simple
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 03:12 PM

A fish pie can be a bit bland adding a couple of anchovies and a few capers gives it a bit more zing.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 03:22 PM

Thank you all very much for your advice, tips and recipes.
Unfortunately I've never made a Fish Pie before and as with other new recipes that I've tried for the first time, I have to follow the recipe to a T to ensure it is at least edible!! hee hee.

With some ingredients not being cheap nowadays, haddock and smoked haddock being two of them, it is only after making a dish for the first time that I then feel happy enough to experiment with other ingredients.

Silly I know but I have had too many " Oh, I'll have a go at making that" without having a recipe disasters that I make sure I have a tried and tested one first.

Mind you it doesn't work everytime. Take last night's dinner. I looked through several recipes just to make sure I was getting the timings right for a straightforward Slow Cooker Chicken Curry.
Flippin heck, this was an easy one. According to them all I had to do was switch the cooker on, empty the packet of cut chicken pieces in, pour over the jar of Curry Sauce (no ladies and gentlemen, I did not make my own!!) I used a jar of Patak Chip Shop Curry Sauce. All the recipes then said place lid on and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
This is the life thought I, all meals should be this easy.

He who must obey came in from work, sniffed the aroma of the Curry and smiled, obviously looking forward to a delicious Chicken Curry with Jasmine Rice. WRONG ! when we sat down to eat it, it nearly burned the roof of our mouths off, it was so bloomin hot and strong I don't think we could even taste the chicken! it may just as well have been horse we wouldn't have been able to tell the difference.

Needless to say we didn't eat more than a mouthful and ended up eating a Tin of Heinz Big Soup and a crusty roll each!! (and two dishes of ice-cream to cool our mouths down !!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Thank you all very much for your advice, tips and recipes.
Unfortunately I've never made a Fish Pie before and as with other new recipes that I've tried for the first time, I have to follow the recipe to a T to ensure it is at least edible!! hee hee.

With some ingredients not being cheap nowadays, haddock and smoked haddock being two of them, it is only after making a dish for the first time that I then feel happy enough to experiment with other ingredients.

Silly I know but I have had too many " Oh, I'll have a go at making that" without having a recipe disasters that I make sure I have a tried and tested one first.

Mind you it doesn't work everytime. Take last night's dinner. I looked through several recipes just to make sure I was getting the timings right for a straightforward Slow Cooker Chicken Curry.
Flippin heck, this was an easy one. According to them all I had to do was switch the cooker on, empty the packet of cut chicken pieces in, pour over the jar of Curry Sauce (no ladies and gentlemen, I did not make my own!!) I used a jar of Patak Chip Shop Curry Sauce. All the recipes then said place lid on and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
This is the life thought I, all meals should be this easy.

He who must obey came in from work, sniffed the aroma of the Curry and smiled, obviously looking forward to a delicious Chicken Curry with Jasmine Rice. WRONG ! when we sat down to eat it, it nearly burned the roof of our mouths off, it was so bloomin hot and strong I don't think we could even taste the chicken! it may just as well have been horse we wouldn't have been able to tell the difference.

Needless to say we didn't eat more than a mouthful and ended up eating a Tin of Heinz Big Soup and a crusty roll each!! (and two dishes of ice-cream to cool our mouths down !!

If your curry is too spicy hot for your taste, instead of throwing it away - add some (Blue Dragon) cocoanut cream to the curry to 'soften' the spiciness.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 03:47 PM

It happens and nobody learns to cook in a day,or longer. Just do not lose confidence.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
If your curry is too spicy hot for your taste, instead of throwing it away - add some (Blue Dragon) cocoanut cream to the curry to 'soften' the spiciness.

Yes, that works well UJ as does adding a good dollop of plain yoghurt or better still, some mango chutney. Mouth's watering now.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top