Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 03:51 PM

Re: Do any of you clever cooks out there............

... you can get a lot cheaper fish than cod or haddock to put in your pie. First thought would be coley - looks a bit grey when raw but cooks white and is very very similar. Or pollack, or hake, or huss - whatever the fishmonger/fish counter has available and cheap

The origin of the pie is using up oddments and ugly bits - don't go for top of the range cod loin etc
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
... you can get a lot cheaper fish than cod or haddock to put in your pie. First thought would be coley - looks a bit grey when raw but cooks white and is very very similar. Or pollack, or hake, or huss - whatever the fishmonger/fish counter has available and cheap

The origin of the pie is using up oddments and ugly bits - don't go for top of the range cod loin etc
I agree but we have all seen some types of fish get `trendy` and thus more expensive. Sea bass was not considered say 20 years ago and hake is no longer a cheaper type. Coley and pollack are still good choices for a pie.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2016, 10:08 PM

Hi everyone, just to say a big thank you for your input re the Fish pie recipe. I decided to go with the Allrecipe one that Solo recommended and it was really delicious.

Since retiring last year, I love trying new dishes. For the last twenty five years I have been so busy working that I didn't really have time. By the time Friday came around I used to be so tired. I never used to get home until after 7 pm so it was usually something that could be shoved in the oven to cook for 30 minutes!! and pile on the vegetables.

Now I've actually made a proper Baked Rice Pudding instead of heating up Ambrosia creamed Rice in the saucepan !!
It was lovely and soooooo simple.
He who must obey really enjoyed it too. Onwards and upwards ey!! It's one I found from Delia, and although to most of you making a Baked Rice Pudding must be like sucking eggs, there might be one or two who may be like me and not used to everyday cooking. Good fun though!.

It does say add raisins or sultanas but as neither of us like them I will leave them out. Up to you whether you wish to add them.

Ingredients.
Pudding Rice (Measure in a Measuring jug up to 175ml level.
410g Tin of Evaporated Milk
810ml Whole Milk
40g Sugar
Nutmeg (either grate a whole one or equivalent from jar)
If you don't like the skin on Rice Pud, will tell you below what to do.
25g Butter

Preheat your oven to 150 or equivalent.

Butter a large ovenproof dish

Place the Rice and the Sugar into the ovenproof dish.

Pour in the Milk and Evaporated Milk and give it a good stir.

Grate the whole Nutmeg over the top or sprinkle on lots from the jar of Nutmeg.

Dot the Butter all around the top then pop it into the oven for 2.1/2 hours. (put the timer on and stir once each half hour for the first one hour). If you don't like a skin forming, either leave out the nutmeg or if you like the taste of nutmeg add it but either way put foil over the dish to cover for the final 1.1/2 hours to prevent the skin forming.

So easy, no effort, shame on me for not doing it this way before but hey ho. Enjoy it all you busy bees or not very adventurous until right now cooks.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2016, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the feedback SG...much appreciated. As most people who really enjoy cooking will tell you, it is always a pleasure to pass a recipe or a method on to another .

There is a very tasty quick rice pudding you may like to have a go at from Nigel Slater. It is one I use most times as it takes about 20 minutes.. Again you can use semi skinned milk and adjust sugar to suit your taste and diet.

For 4
8 heaped tablespoons arborio rice
300ml milk
300ml double cream
a vanilla pod, split in half lengthways or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
6 tbsps water
large knob of butter
4 tbsps caster sugar

Put the rice in a medium-sized, heavy-based pan, then pour in the milk, cream, vanilla pod or extract and water. Bring to the boil over a medium heat, then turn down the flame until the milk is bubbling gently. Let it cook for 15-20 minutes. Add the butter, no more than an ounce, whip out the vanilla pod, and stir in the sugar. When the sugar has dissolved, the pudding is ready.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2016, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Thanks for the feedback SG...much appreciated. As most people who really enjoy cooking will tell you, it is always a pleasure to pass a recipe or a method on to another .

There is a very tasty quick rice pudding you may like to have a go at from Nigel Slater. It is one I use most times as it takes about 20 minutes.. Again you can use semi skinned milk and adjust sugar to suit your taste and diet.

For 4
8 heaped tablespoons arborio rice
300ml milk
300ml double cream
a vanilla pod, split in half lengthways or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
6 tbsps water
large knob of butter
4 tbsps caster sugar

Put the rice in a medium-sized, heavy-based pan, then pour in the milk, cream, vanilla pod or extract and water. Bring to the boil over a medium heat, then turn down the flame until the milk is bubbling gently. Let it cook for 15-20 minutes. Add the butter, no more than an ounce, whip out the vanilla pod, and stir in the sugar. When the sugar has dissolved, the pudding is ready.

What??? - no nutmeg??? - sacrilege!!!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2016, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
What??? - no nutmeg??? - sacrilege!!!
There you go UJ .

Bellajjoy
New Member!
BLANK
Bellajjoy is female 

25-04-2016, 10:13 PM

My secret ingredient when making fish pie is to add a teaspoon of mustard to the sauce, gives it a real kick and depth
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 10:31 PM

My first wife is an excellent cook and can make a beautiful fish pie.

I asked her for her recipe, but she refuses to provide any details. She insists it's a secret.

Sorry.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top