Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2016, 07:30 PM

Re: Water confidence lost

My tack would be to either get her together with friends of her own age and all go to the pool together for a splash, or better still, find out if there are any pool games events going on, for example ball games in the shallow end.
Either way, finding a friend or friends to go with will greatly help and she will find strength and courage amongst numbers imo.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2016, 09:05 PM

For what it is worth - I also had/have a fear of swimming pools - but loved to splash about in the sea. It felt safer because it was more buoyant. I know you have said that you are not keen on the sea, Julie, but could Uncle Nathan maybe spend an hour or two on a beach with Grace ? It might help her to see that water can be fun.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2016, 12:05 PM

She is back in the water, found a lovely lady on the beach who took her slowly into the water, never let her go until she was ready and she was swimming better than in a pool.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2016, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
She is back in the water, found a lovely lady on the beach who took her slowly into the water, never let her go until she was ready and she was swimming better than in a pool.
I had an incident in a pool when I was 11. I knew how to swim but never had the confidence again till I was 17, when I went to a beach with a friend who was a good swimmer. It was hot weather and I was jealous of him being in the cool sea, so I just decided to swim out and join him.
Providing Grace has the ability to swim a little, perhaps getting her to go into the sea and have some fun is the way to go. Just encourage her to swim in the shallows and she will build her own confidence.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2016, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I had an incident in a pool when I was 11. I knew how to swim but never had the confidence again till I was 17, when I went to a beach with a friend who was a good swimmer. It was hot weather and I was jealous of him being in the cool sea, so I just decided to swim out and join him.
Providing Grace has the ability to swim a little, perhaps getting her to go into the sea and have some fun is the way to go. Just encourage her to swim in the shallows and she will build her own confidence.
Yes that's the way she was it was very hot everyone in the water having fun and she wanted to get in too.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2016, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes that's the way she was it was very hot everyone in the water having fun and she wanted to get in too.
Julie I would suggest that you encourage her by saying that she will miss out on doing things with friends, as she gets older, because they can swim. Give her a good reason to want to learn how to swim and she will overcome her fears..... it may just take a bit longer that expected.

I have seen young people on holidays, having games in the pools or the sea, and you often see the less capable swimmers sitting round the edge of the pool just watching. I am sure Grace wouldn't want to be one of them.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2016, 05:48 PM

If shes scared of the water why force her to go in it???

Get something else to interest her.

Horse riding.

Skateboarding.

Morris dancing.

All as dangerous but she might like them better than thinking that she is going to drown.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2016, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Then maybe you should face your fears together?
Well said Barry
How about it Julie ? I think it might be good for you both .
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2016, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Julie I would suggest that you encourage her by saying that she will miss out on doing things with friends, as she gets older, because they can swim.
As a prrson who has been scared of just about everything, I have to say that threats do not work. In fact they have the opposite effect. Sorry.
Originally Posted by galty ->
If shes scared of the water why force her to go in it???

Get something else to interest her.

Horse riding.

Skateboarding.

Morris dancing.

All as dangerous but she might like them better than thinking that she is going to drown.

Yep ... well said .... especially the Morris Dancing

The other problem with such activities as swimming is that we have to 'disrobe' and expose our fabulous bodies. This can be another big problem for girls of all ages.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2016, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
As a prrson who has been scared of just about everything, I have to say that threats do not work. In fact they have the opposite effect. Sorr

Yep ... well said .... especially the Morris Dancing

The other problem with such activities as swimming is that se have to 'disrobe' and expose our fabulous bodies. This can be another big problem for girls of all ages.

Agree.

With my daughter as a 5 year old We went to Ireland on holiday I carried into the sea when the water went up to my knees she screamed her head off.( The next day we read the sea was calm but a 8 year child drowned that day)

Did the same 2 years later in Florida in the hotel swimming pool she hated it never forced her again.

She is now at the age of 46 last year we walked over the bridge at Embankment station and I said "O look at that" she was petrifyd and said I cant look at dark water.

After the second time when I relised that she was scared of water never ever tried to force her to swim again.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top