Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2016, 07:58 PM

Welsh Cakes

My friend was telling me that she's gone mad on Welsh Cakes and keeps buying them from the Co Op as they are delicious! I visited two Co Ops today but neither stocked them! I then thought l would make some myself but wondered if anyone knows if homemade ones are nicer than bought ones?
If so, has anyone got a good recipe that they have used?
Thank You, in anticipation!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2016, 10:19 PM

Re: Welsh Cakes

I use this one - very tasty!

Ingredients

225g plain flour
85g caster sugar
½ tsp mixed spice
½ tsp baking powder
50g butter, cut into small pieces
50g lard, cut into small pieces, plus extra for frying
50g currant
1 egg
Eggs, beaten
splash of milk

Method

Tip the flour, sugar, mixed spice, baking powder and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Then, with your fingers, rub in the butter and lard until crumbly. Mix in the currants. Work the egg into the mixture until you have soft dough, adding a splash of milk if it seems a little dry – it should be the same consistency as shortcrust pastry.

Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface to the thickness of your little finger. Cut out rounds using a 6cm cutter, re-rolling any trimmings. Grease a flat griddle pan or heavy frying pan with lard, and place over a medium heat. Cook the Welsh cakes in batches, for about 3 mins each side, until golden brown, crisp and cooked through. Delicious served warm with butter and jam, or simply sprinkled with caster sugar. Cakes will stay fresh in a tin for 1 week - in theory - mine never stay there that long !! LOL.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2016, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I use this one - very tasty!

Ingredients

225g plain flour
85g caster sugar
½ tsp mixed spice
½ tsp baking powder
50g butter, cut into small pieces
50g lard, cut into small pieces, plus extra for frying
50g currant
1 egg
Eggs, beaten
splash of milk

Method

Tip the flour, sugar, mixed spice, baking powder and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Then, with your fingers, rub in the butter and lard until crumbly. Mix in the currants. Work the egg into the mixture until you have soft dough, adding a splash of milk if it seems a little dry – it should be the same consistency as shortcrust pastry.

Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface to the thickness of your little finger. Cut out rounds using a 6cm cutter, re-rolling any trimmings. Grease a flat griddle pan or heavy frying pan with lard, and place over a medium heat. Cook the Welsh cakes in batches, for about 3 mins each side, until golden brown, crisp and cooked . Delicious served warm with butter and jam, or simply sprinkled with caster sugar. Cakes will stay fresh in a tin for 1 week - in theory - mine never stay there that long !! LOL.

Agree with all you say , except that ours last longer than a week, we have two tins full
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
My friend was telling me that she's gone mad on Welsh Cakes and keeps buying them from the Co Op as they are delicious! I visited two Co Ops today but neither stocked them! I then thought l would make some myself but wondered if anyone knows if homemade ones are nicer than bought ones?
If so, has anyone got a good recipe that they have used?
Thank You, in anticipation!
Tesco usually stocks them.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 02:39 PM

So when do you want us all round to try them Art?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
Agree with all you say , except that ours last longer than a week, we have two tins full

Doesn't matter how many tins you bake, you'd be hard put to make them last four days round here!!!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2016, 03:04 PM

ST, Thank You for the recipe!
Tarantula, Thank You for telling me that Tescos stock them but my friend said the Co-Op ones were the nicest!

Twink, l have got all the ingredients and l have a griddle but l have eaten Thorntons fudge this week and don't want to risk putting more weight on, now l've lost it! I will make them, probably next week and you can come round to try them!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2016, 03:18 PM

ST, Thank You for the recipe!
Tarantula, Thank You for telling me that Tescos stock them but my friend said the Co-Op ones were the nicest!

Twink, l have got all the ingredients and l have a griddle but l have eaten Thorntons fudge this week and don't want to risk putting more weight on, now l've lost it! I will make them, probably next week and you can come round to try them!
Oooh, That sounds like a great idea!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

16-10-2016, 01:24 PM

Well, l have just made the Welsh Cakes mixture and cooked three on the griddle as a dummy run! They did burn slightly but you couldn't taste it!
To me, they are like a rich pancake and taste lovely! I would have taken a pic but l ate the three.... one after another! Bang goes my diet this week!

ST, l had no lard so l used all butter!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

16-10-2016, 02:25 PM

Well, l have just made the Welsh Cakes mixture and cooked three on the griddle as a dummy run! They did burn slightly but you couldn't taste it!
To me, they are like a rich pancake and taste lovely! I would have taken a pic but l ate the three.... one after another! Bang goes my diet this week!

ST, l had no lard so l used all butter!
You rotter Art, didn't your mum teach you to share? I could have just enjoyed one of those Welsh cakes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top