Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 07:48 PM

Re: Are You A ‘Show Off’?

You haven't seen my Morrissey impersonations after a litre of Beaujolais.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
You haven't seen my Morrissey impersonations after a litre of Beaujolais.
I wondered what happened to my privet hedge.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I don't consider myself to be a show off really although I do like to show off my gifts and cards so perhaps I am a show off, hmmmmmmmmm.

I would definitely be a show off if I was a grandma, I'd be sharing proud pics of my grandchild, ahhhhhhh one can dream
You are not a show off LQ.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
You are not a show off LQ.
thank you Brother I feel better now, I was beginning to question myself LOL
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I wondered what happened to my privet hedge.
You had a privet hedge?!!!!!!!!!!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs;2089885[B
]Being proud and showing off are two different things[/B]. You can be proud of your grandchildren or something you have created but telling people how much your house is worth or how much your expensive kitchen cost is just showing off. Most people are not impressed plus however well off we think we are there is always someone better off.

:023 Exactly.

You can feel immensley proud of something, but it is a personal pride. You don't have to show off about it.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Why? Aren’t you proud of your grandchildren and want to tell others how great they are?

PS... Aren’t all the threads l start.. strange?
Not in my world.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Pixie, You could maybe show off about the number of posts you’ve posted since joining here a short time ago that have catapulted you to a ‘Senior Member’!

Not long until you are a ‘Chatterbox’ .... then you’ll know, you’ve arrived!!
Good grief!! I don't even chat that much in everyday life!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 11:31 PM

I ‘m afraid I really can’t stand people who bang on about their grandchildrens achievements all the time .
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 01:28 AM

What a great question. But me, having the twisted brain I do, see it the other way around. I think it's really interesting when people accuse others of being show offs. And the reasons they give for doing it. Australians are known - fairly or otherwise - for having the "tall poppy syndrome" That is you don't overly flaunt your wealth regardless of how rich you are. You don't flaunt your power regardless of how much you have. And if your are dazzlingly talented and/ or intelligent you don't flog people with it. You are supposed to be fair but ferocious in combat/ sport/ business etc...defiant in defeat and merciful in victory..compliment the fight of your opponent before you trumpet your own triumph. That's why the Australian Test Cricket Team has copped so much flak of later. Sir Donald Bradman must be rolling in his grave. They seem to have departed from these principles somewhat. And this is not to say that many Australians don't trangress this unwritten law.This is where we differ from the Americans to a degree though. Traditionally boasting and self aggrandisement are not behaviours that are looked upon kindly here. So we Australians still have a long way to go in striking a balance - or even being able to tell the difference - between healthy self confidence and conceit or "showing off" Me?..I am proud of a few things I have achieved and a few talents I have but most of my pride is in others . I think I can play pretty good slide guitar. I think I was good at my profession. I own my own house such as it is. It is a good house that is solid and big enough. Nothing to show off about though. So being typical of my nationality, no I can't usually stand show offs. But neither do I cut somebody down simply because they are talented or intelligent or have something valuable to offer. I can't stand inverse snobbery either.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top