Join for free
Page 10 of 24 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 12:17 AM

Re: Should smoking be banned outside?

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
That's so rude muddy. Not need for that that

The truth is unpalatable isn't it ?
Would we still be using arsenic as make up as they did in Elizabethan time knowing it would kill us ?
Or painting our children's toys with lead paint ?
We know these things are dangerous in exactly the same way as we know cigarette smoking is the number one cause of cancer today as well as other horrible illnesses.
Why then would any sensible in the face of decades of health education still smoke ?
Would anyone hand their child a fag and say here you are son have a cancer stick it will not only make you an addict but will it kill you the end and cost you a fortune while doing so.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 12:20 AM

A timely reminder.

Why would anyone sensible smoke?

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Regarding intelligence and smokers.
Einstein was a smoker ... and when under pressure to quit even resorted to picking up butts off the streets to have a crafty puff.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ff-street.html
I think it very unwise to scoop whole rafts of people who smoke into the bracket of 'thick as a brick'.
Generalisations are too biased.

For example ...
Smoking is making a comeback in Israel
Smoking is one of the leading causes of death in Israel.
(All of them thick as bricks? Dumb? Really?)

https://www.jta.org/2017/06/07/defau...back-in-israel
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 12:52 AM

Tut tut Floydy ... does the drinker worry about his liver or becoming an alcoholic? Does an obese person hesitate over chomping that next slab of food?
Does everyone else have such a perfect self-help-health regime that they will live to be a 100?

This is what I can't understand ... why smokers are somehow seen as selfish or stupid.... or a group of people with some diabolically horrendous vice or social disgrace. Why is everyone so quick to judge them?

Yes I smoke ... ..I also fart in public places if I have to, so are obnoxious from both ends.
The typical smoker's response. They don't have any consideration for thenselves or anyone else.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 01:09 AM

If the anti-smokers succeed in banning the sale of tobacco, I wonder who they will go after next ? Maybe you !

Don't kid yourself. Fanaticism is forever busy. With their self-righteous attitude, they will look around for their next target.

Who's next ? Meat eaters ? Sugar eaters ? Drivers of petrol powered cars? Hunters ?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 07:50 AM

I am a non-smoker - but I would hate to see any more bans put on those who do - it is eroding their personal freedom.

There are more damaging addictions to worry about - cocaine, cannabis, heroin and prescription drugs for example. These not only damage the users health but also leave them vulnerable to pimps, dealers, prostitution and crime to feed their habit.

I have yet to hear of a smoker mugging little old ladies in the street for a packet of Woodbines !
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 08:20 AM

I have Asthma from breathing in my ex husband’s cigarette smoke when he smoked in the 1970’s. He gave up in the 1980’s but l was left with the legacy!

I don’t start wheezing when cars or other vehicles pass me but l do if l have to pass a smoker in the street.
In fact, l have to hold my breath for a few minutes....then l nearly pass out!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Smoking does not affect the lives of anyone except the smoker. The anti-smoking fanatics are just busy-bodies who like to interfere in other peoples lives.

If I see someone smoking a cigarette, while walking down the street, how am I possibly harmed ?

This whole issue is just another witch hunt, in a long list of witch hunts.
Of course it can hurt others, passive smoking can be very harmful, especially for a person already has lung problems. I am more than happy to have a witch hunt where flipping smokers are concerned.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I have Asthma from breathing in my ex husband’s cigarette smoke when he smoked in the 1970’s. He gave up in the 1980’s but l was left with the legacy!

I don’t start wheezing when cars or other vehicles pass me but l do if l have to pass a smoker in the street.
In fact, l have to hold my breath for a few minutes....then l nearly pass out!
I agree I also would like a smoking ban.
I’m Prepare for the hail of disapproval ...I find many smokers unthoughtful often congregating outside entrances and exits puffing away there’s no escape you have to walk through clouds of smoke.
Hospitals offer an excellent example of this behaviour it’s possible to see people attached to drips ,machines and wheelchairs outside the hospital entrances puffing away.
At least that’s the case at the Southampton General .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 08:32 AM

In Swindon general too.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2018, 08:42 AM

Yes i think its the same with most hospital's
Sad really because it's probably smoking that put them there in the first place. What do the hospital's do though? If people are addicted they are addicted and im sure it's not easy to go cold turkey. I've seen people coughing and wheazing dragging a drip to the door in order to get a cigarette...that's serious addiction.

Page 10 of 24 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top