Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 03:15 PM

Re: Poverty, hunger and food.

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
I remember coming across a young mother with her toddler, desperately scanning the shelves for something - I asked her what she was looking for so I could help her, and she said 'pancake mix'. There was none to be had, because guess what? It was Shrove Tuesday. Not having any pencil and paper with me, I said 'get out your phone, and go to 'notes', and write this down'. I dictated the basics of making a pancake batter. She could not believe how easy it sounded, how few ingredients. She was so grateful! I said, laughingly, 'please promise me you'll never buy a packet of pancake mix again'. I've often wondered whether she kept the promise
Hi Bathsheba that young woman could have found a recipe for pancakes on her mobile phone (which I assume was a smart phone) in seconds .
A lot of people are just too lazy to cook.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Why bother cooking when it's quite often much easier to just eat?
Very droll.............
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 03:37 PM

Meg, how absolutely adorable!

Reasons for inadequate cooking:

1. Convenience and the availability of low-cost less, fast preparation, less nutrient-dense food.
2. All adults in the house working full-time
3. The microwave oven.
4. Parents not making mealtime a cherished, joyful ritual in the home.
5. A disconnect between feeding children and nurturing (just look at Meg's photo!).
6. The computer and other technology filling up distracting and using up discretionary time that could be used for meal prep.
7. Learned dependence on the government to feed kids - here free breakfast and lunch programs in schools (food is garbage IMHO)
8. No time - over-prioritizing commitments (sports, lessons, scouts, church activities, doctors appointments, etc.)
9. Laziness and procrastination. I'll cook a big meal on Friday!
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Bathsheba that young woman could have found a recipe for pancakes on her mobile phone (which I assume was a smart phone) in seconds .
A lot of people are just too lazy to cook.
Yes that's true, but I think if someone has never learnt to cook, never had lessons at school, nor a mother who could teach them, then it's possible the idea of cooking from scratch is like a closed book to them, a total mystery. All it needs is someone to unlock that mystery, give them the key. Perhaps that's all she needed from me. She did look genuinely amazed at how easy it appeared.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 04:19 PM

A couple of cheap pieces of equipment.
A slow cooker. Chuck in some cheap ingredients and there you are.
A soup maker, ours gets all sorts. Outer leaves of a cauli, any veg passed its best.
Ok a saucepan will do the job.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 10:25 PM

I agree but to a large extent, I blame the parents. Both my kids know how to cook. As a parent I felt that I had two tasks - a great education and teach them to clean up and cook for themselves!

It’s really up to the parents to make time to cook healthy wholesome meals and it is not expensive to cook a nourishing meal!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 10:48 PM

There are too many distractions in today's world to waste time in the kitchen.......
I must hasten to add though, it's not how I think. I cook five night a week, sit at the table and eat proper nosh......

Beautiful Photo Meg......That's enthusiasm if ever I saw it....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top