Join for free
Page 17 of 18 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 >
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

31-05-2021, 12:33 PM

Re: Is it war??

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Our defence forces should be concentrating on defending THIS country and NOT getting involved in anything outside our borders, especially doing ANYTHING supporting America or anything it gets gets up to. We should absolutely quit NATO. Other countries get in conflict? Their problem, not ours. Britain is a small offshore island trying to punch waay above its weight. Apart from anything else WE CANT AFFORD TO.
defending against what > - illegals - that's rather boring work eh?

Ah you want britain to be great again - like when the sun never set on the empire? What Britain likes to do is "sell" it's expertise to other countries like Afghanistan and also sell its weaponry

you wanna take it back to pre-Roman days? all huddled around fire in caves?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by bret ->
defending against what > - illegals - that's rather boring work eh?

Ah you want britain to be great again - like when the sun never set on the empire? What Britain likes to do is "sell" it's expertise to other countries like Afghanistan and also sell its weaponry

you wanna take it back to pre-Roman days? all huddled around fire in caves?

What would I like Britain to be? Neutral. Unaligned. Would I want Britain to recreate the British empire? No. For one thing we couldn't, for another we did it once, brought civilisation to savages, left them to stand on shoulders of giants and what have they done? Allowed what we gave them to revert to savagery.

Sell our expertise such as weaponry to Afghanistan? Sure. Why not. Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Revert to life as it was pre the Industrial Revolution? How about changing to a sustainable way of life. Would there be casualties? Certainly - that's inevitable, but there will be casualties whatever is done but there is no alternative.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 01:34 PM

Our defence forces should be concentrating on defending THIS country and NOT getting involved in anything outside our borders, especially doing ANYTHING supporting America or anything it gets gets up to. We should absolutely quit NATO. Other countries get in conflict? Their problem, not ours. Britain is a small offshore island trying to punch waay above its weight. Apart from anything else WE CANT AFFORD TO.
I agree, and have said so many times.

As for leaving NATO, I'm not sure at least for the moment.

We are one of a minority of members who actually pay the agreed amount into the system. Most of the EU countries do not. I'd be much happier if THEY were kicked out first. That would help them make up their minds whether to either pay up or risk being invaded by Russia!

Certainly, though, we should keep our noses out of foreign 'situations', especially when we appear to be the beck and call of America.
As we all know, America always does what's best for America first and others come a poor second. We should do the same.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree, and have said so many times.

As for leaving NATO, I'm not sure at least for the moment.

We are one of a minority of members who actually pay the agreed amount into the system. Most of the EU countries do not. I'd be much happier if THEY were kicked out first. That would help them make up their minds whether to either pay up or risk being invaded by Russia!

Certainly, though, we should keep our noses out of foreign 'situations', especially when we appear to be the beck and call of America.
As we all know, America always does what's best for America first and others come a poor second. We should do the same.
The problem with NATO is that the NATO charter means that an attack on any NATO is to be viewed as an attack on all NATO signatories and there's no way that I would want to see this or any country dragged into some conflict that America had contrived --- AGAIN.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 02:19 PM

The problem with NATO is that the NATO charter means that an attack on any NATO is to be viewed as an attack on all NATO signatories and there's no way that I would want to see this or any country dragged into some conflict that America had contrived --- AGAIN.
We should ditch the UN as well.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 02:52 PM

What would I like Britain to be? Neutral. Unaligned. Would I want Britain to recreate the British empire? No. For one thing we couldn't, for another we did it once, brought civilisation to savages, left them to stand on shoulders of giants and what have they done? Allowed what we gave them to revert to savagery.

Sell our expertise such as weaponry to Afghanistan? Sure. Why not. Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Revert to life as it was pre the Industrial Revolution? How about changing to a sustainable way of life. Would there be casualties? Certainly - that's inevitable, but there will be casualties whatever is done but there is no alternative.
I don't know whether you noticed, but in that post he managed to spell 'you' instead of the usual 'ya'.
Now I call that progress!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

31-05-2021, 02:57 PM

But on the plus side, any attack on us would automatically involve America (assuming that they stuck to the rules, of course!).
Now that's got to be an enormous advantage.

Anyone attacks any EU members who fail to pay their whack, and I would certainly not stand up for them.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

31-05-2021, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Certainly. They usually seem to work against us.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

31-05-2021, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Absolutely agree. The UN has become a market where votes are traded.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

31-05-2021, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
But on the plus side, any attack on us would automatically involve America (assuming that they stuck to the rules, of course!).
Now that's got to be an enormous advantage.

Anyone attacks any EU members who fail to pay their whack, and I would certainly not stand up for them.
The whole principle of NATO is flawed.

It was set up in order to provide a united front against any agro by the USSR (though it was the USSR that needed protection from America!)

For decades the USSR has ceased to exist but more importantly the prospective (?) enemy now is not Russia or the Russian Federation or China, it is mohammadism and we need a united front to confront that.

Page 17 of 18 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top