Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2016, 11:59 PM

Weighing scales (for people)

Related to the OFF Slimming Club thread on another sub-forum, I could do with some advice.

We have a digital weighing scale which, although fairly new, gives inconsistent results. NO, it's not my trouble and strife complaining that she's put on weight (don't they all?); I have found my weight to vary quite noticeably between getting on the scale (13st 1.1lb) and getting on again a few seconds later (13st 2.4lb). That's without putting on any clothes; I always weigh myself naked except for my slippers (don't get excited, ladies, and resist the temptation to ask for a photo).

I have been researching weighing scales and it appears that most (yes most) digital scales can give inconsistent readings. More expensive mechanical scales (like the ones at my doctor's surgery) seem to come out as more consistent, but my first wife doesn't like the idea: her slimming club (online - family members only) seems to use percentage points (like my weight measurements above) whereas mechanical scales seem to be only accurate to the nearest lb despite giving more consistent readings.

Incidentally, we subscribe to Which? magazine where some highly rated scales seem to have the majority of users' comments rating them as being poor, and vice versa. I must write to them about that; it doesn't fill me with confidence about their testing methods.

What I'm getting round to, in my typically verbose way, is does anyone know of, or have possession of, weighing scales that they can recommend for both accuracy and consistency of readings?

If you've managed to read this far, I'd be grateful for any advice.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 12:19 AM

Re: Weighing scales (for people)

JBR I have some digital scales and they are very inaccurate . They must be on a very firm surface and don't like being moved .
I have also had inaccurate mechanical scales.

In the end to get an accurate reading of my weight I went to Boots and paid 50p to get a reading on their big scales which also calculates BMI , I was then able to calculate the 'error' on my digital scales.
I still don't really trust them and they were a best buy on Which at the time I purchase them (a few years ago now) .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 12:24 AM

The thing is JBR, how does one know if our scales are accurate?

If you weigh yourself on another set to compare, and the reading is different to your own, you still don't know which one is the correct one.
I prefer to weigh myself without clothes on. You might get thrown out if you try to weigh yourself in the nuddy in Boots though , so I prefer to weigh myself at home, first thing in the morning.

I only had some old scales that seemed way out, so I bought some new Weight Watchers 'Body Fat Precision Electronic Scales' last year and as far as I know, they seem to be pretty good. They read about the same as the scales at the gym do, anyway.

You can set them up for more than just body weight.
You can programme them to read your body fat, body water and BMI too. You have to enter your height/age/gender/fitness level somehow, but I haven't figured it all out myself yet!

They also have a 10 year guarantee.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 12:28 AM

I was looking at scales the other day, 'Which' doesn't always have the best selection so I look at the reviews on Argos too
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...144&authToken=
and Amazon.

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

17-04-2016, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
The thing is JBR, how does one know if our scales are accurate?

If you weigh yourself on another set to compare, and the reading is different to your own, you still don't know which one is the correct one.
Mups see my post above. I would guess Boots big scales are pretty accurate more so that the ones in the doctors.
If you weigh yourself in Boots then at home with the same clothes on the weight should be the same.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 12:38 AM

I don't trust the doctors one either Meg, nor their BP monitors, so I bought my own.

My local Boots is only a small one and they don't have any scales in there.
The larger Boots in the next town do, but that's too far to go just to stand on the scales.

I am happy with my Weight Watchers ones and I can monitor things whenever I want to then.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 05:26 AM

Does it really matter too much if the scales are out by a couple of pounds or so. You only need to know if you're underweight, average or overweight.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 07:34 AM

Yes Alan, the inaccuracy of a set of scales is somewhat irrelevant, as long as you don't want to compare the result with another device.
Weight loss or gain will still be apparent, and it's average weight that is probably important, you can't beat keeping a Spreadsheet, and keeping an eye on the average.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 07:59 AM

Why not just weigh yourself two or three times and take the mean average?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
JBR I have some digital scales and they are very inaccurate . They must be on a very firm surface and don't like being moved .
I have also had inaccurate mechanical scales.
That's exactly what we do with our digital scales and although they do generally tend to become inaccurate over time ours are not because I've checked them against the work ones which are recalibrated every year - spot-on everytime.

Deep pile carpet always gives odd results and don't become hooked on the BMI - no two people are ever the same and muscle weighs more than fat.

The old adage "if you can pinch an inch" is still the best indicator of the fat you carry as spare "tyre". stevmk2

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top