Join for free
Page 12 of 14 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 09:52 PM

Re: Frugal living

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
Do you mean baking 'soda'? That's what foams up when with vinegar
Yes! Sorry - forgot the translation !!
Sandi
Adelaide, South Australia
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2014, 03:29 AM

Strange when we all call something by a different name.

We call it Bi-Carb Soda
Baking Powder is what we use as a raising agent in cooking.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2014, 07:08 PM

I do shop around at different supermarkets but I'm not frugal.
I did enough of that when the kids were young...making clothes, baking, knitting and such like. I've reached the age of if I want it I buy it, think I'm in my second childhood cos I didn't have any luxuries then, saw my first banana when I was about 9yrs old. Plus those ration books still give me the shivers.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2014, 08:08 PM

I can just about remember the end of rationing. In my case, as I get older, I'm getting more of a liking for good food and I'd rather cut the quantity than the quality. Still, I can't resist a bargain, like the half price salmon I bought in Morrisons, or the greatly reduced shoulders of lamb from Tesco. These went into the freezer and I'll think about when to cook them at another time.

As I said before, it's about flexibility. Buy bargains when you see them and then decide how best to use them.
Sandi
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2014, 03:43 AM

Yes Grumblewagon. I also grab any bargains I see, put them in the freezer and then decide when to use them.

Have trained my daughter that when she goes in to buy a loaf of bread that she trots past the meat counters.

It's a long weekend here and our local supermarkets are not allowed to open on the Monday Public Holiday, so late Sunday afternoon is the time to go around the different shops as they mark their meat down, sometimes by up to 70%.

Also all perishables like vegies and bakery items all get marked down.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2014, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sandi ->

It's a long weekend here and our local supermarkets are not allowed to open on the Monday Public Holiday, so late Sunday afternoon is the time to go around the different shops as they mark their meat down, sometimes by up to 70%.
Speak for yourself that is not the case in other states. the only restriction on opening is Christmas and Boxing day in NSW.

The local supermarkets and shopping Mall opened at 10am in my suburb.
Sandi

10-06-2014, 02:46 AM

Bruce I was speaking for myself. I said "here" which means Adelaide.

I'm sure the people on the forum are astute enough to realise that.

People can see Adelaide on my name and I said here. If I had meant all of Australia I would have said so.

You are just being obnoxious and picky as usual.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 08:42 AM

I am lucky enough to have a good butcher nearby. He sells locally produced meat/chicken and gives a generous discount on bulk buys. Also we have a farm barn just a mile up the road - also mainly local produce. The veg and soft fruits are all grown within a 5 mile radius so is wonderfully fresh and tastes delicious. Obviously some fruit - oranges, pineapples etc., is imported, but is still cheaper and fresher than supermarket stuff.

So - every few weeks - I do a 'bulk buy' raid on both shops - then spend a whole day in the kitchen making ready meals, soups etc., for the freezer. Tiring - but worth it in my opinion - and far, far cheaper than commercially processed stuff.

Would not have worked for my mother - she loathed cooking!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sandi ->
Bruce I was speaking for myself. I said "here" which means Adelaide.

I'm sure the people on the forum are astute enough to realise that.

People can see Adelaide on my name and I said here. If I had meant all of Australia I would have said so.

You are just being obnoxious and picky as usual.
I doubt whether people not familiar with a federal system would realise that 'here' did not mean Australia and only SA. But there you go.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2014, 10:45 AM

We are learning to be more frugal when we do our food shopping. We get vouchers through from Sainsburys with £12 off a £60 shop. We make sure that, that is the week we are going to buy our meat and don't go over the amount.

We organise what we are having for the week and then buy the food accordingly. One thing we do have to keep a watch on is if we are having a salad we have to make sure that what we buy, if it is going to last for two to three meals then arrange the meals around that.

We used to be so wasteful with salad stuff have it for one meal and then throw the rest away.

We are also learning to reduce the amount on our plates as well.

Page 12 of 14 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top