Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 10:29 AM

A "Bloke" Or a "Wimp" Which One?

If a "Bloke" is someone who is determined to do everything, about the house, about the car, about the garden, without ever seeming to suffer the embarassment of asking for help.

Say a Bloke is Someone who keeps going, when ill, without admitting that there's a problem, who wishes to sort it himself (herself) also without asking for help?.Someone who is a master cook & makes all the meals.

On the other hand, let's say a "Wimp" is someone who can't change the fuse on a house electric plug ("we can get someone in to do that"), someone who pays to have the car serviced, even down to getting the lamp bulbs changed, the house cleaned, et cetera.

Someone who only would eat ready mades, if there was no one there to cook for them!

Are you one of either of these?

Do you live with one?

Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 10:40 AM

Re: A "Bloke" Or a "Wimp" Which One?

Being from a certain generation it is second nature to undertake repairs, diy, cooking or simply make do and mend.
Nowadays I tend to get people in to do jobs, not because I can't do them , more that I can't be arsed.
Of course with the exception of tasks that need qualified tradesmen.

My wife still calls me a wuss though.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 10:45 AM

I can't imagine many owning up to the latter..
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 10:45 AM

I am fiercely independent,I can offer help and support ,but find it very difficult to receive it, i think that stems from being brought up tough,......that is one area I am thankful for......if I’m ill,I will only let family take care of me, a very private person in some areas, but very open in others.....I think that makes me “ stubborn “ Ted.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
If a "Bloke" is someone who is determined to do everything, about the house, about the car, about the garden, without ever seeming to suffer the embarassment of asking for help.
I think I must be 'a bloke' then Ted I have over the years tried to do most things the average can do man including building a kitchen, basic car and household maintenance .
I know men who can't do many things that I can and prefer to pay to have it done than attempt it themselves.
Nothing to with embarrassment , paying someone for the work was too expensive for me.

When lockdown is over I will be off to buy a washer for the kitchen tap which was 'repaired' by a plumber about 18 months ago, I am having trouble with my hands so can't do so much these days and have to pay someone . The tap has not worked properly since he did it so I will do the job myself.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 10:54 AM

I am definitely a bloke.... you wanna see my muscles! I am only little but l am as strong as an Ox and as fit as a butcher’s dog!

I can lift and move 3x2 concrete slabs.. no sweat.

See l even talk like a bloke!
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 11:05 AM

Your definitions are too black and white and so artificial that your question has no relevance for me whatsoever.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Being from a certain generation it is second nature to undertake repairs, diy, cooking or simply make do and mend.
Nowadays I tend to get people in to do jobs, not because I can't do them , more that I can't be arsed.
Of course with the exception of tasks that need qualified tradesmen.

My wife still calls me a wuss though.

Money bags!..
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

27-01-2021, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Your definitions are too black and white and so artificial that your question has no relevance for me whatsoever.
I did think the question was a bit odd, but hey ho,..it’s the taking part that counts,
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I am definitely a bloke.... you wanna see my muscles! I am only little but l am as strong as an Ox and as fit as a butcher’s dog!

I can lift and move 3x2 concrete slabs.. no sweat.

See l even talk like a bloke!
Lovely pair of shoulders, show 'em off show 'em off.... (in the voice of Windsor Davies)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top