Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 04:58 PM

Touchpad problem

Toshiba Satellite laptop.
Suddenly, I am unable to turn off the touchpad. I find it impossible to type anything without inadvertently causing interruptions, due to accidentally touching the touchpad whilst typing.

I have searched high and low on the internet, tried the usual fn + f4, f5, f9, and tried turning it off in control panel and settings. I have even attempted to delete the Synaptics software, and the touchpad still operates.

I feel that the only way I'm going to make practical use of this laptop is to cut out a piece of cardboard and glue it over the touchpad!

Can anyone please offer a better suggestion?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 05:03 PM

Re: Touchpad problem

Have you done an update? Sometimes that resets things (my audio on laptop didn't work through headphones, for example)

Troubleshoot?

Cardboard and use a mouse?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 05:10 PM

Found this on MS website:

As per the issue description you are willing to disable touchpad in Windows 10. For performing this task you may refer to the steps mentioned below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

1 Right click on Start , and then click Control Panel.

2 Click Hardware and Sound.

3 Click Keyboard.

4 In the Mouse Properties window:
• Click the Device Select tab to disable the touch pad.
• Click the Touch Pad tab to adjust touch pad settings.

5 Click OK to save the settings and restart the system and check.

Hope this would help. Do keep us updated about the status of your issue and we will be happy to

Don't know the model of your lappy, but here's some info on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3q0QryuGfo
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 05:14 PM

There are lots of suggestions for doing this when I researched it, mostly those you have already tried. One though is so simple and if this solves the problem then it's really easy. It's on YouTube, where I find a lot of otherwise obscure information, so perhaps worth giving this a try:

Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
– Snip –

Snap Judd, you must have found this as I was posting!

Not that I know Toshiba or Windows machines as I use Apple Macs!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Have you done an update? Sometimes that resets things (my audio on laptop didn't work through headphones, for example)

Troubleshoot?

Cardboard and use a mouse?
Yes, contrary to my usual practices, I did download the latest Windows Update.

I have actually done what I said I'd do, and stuck a self-adhesive pad over the touchpad. It works, of course, but how ridiculous that such a thing should be necessary.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Snap Judd, you must have found this as I was posting!

Not that I know Toshiba or Windows machines as I use Apple Macs!
Great minds think alike.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

15-02-2021, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Found this on MS website:

As per the issue description you are willing to disable touchpad in Windows 10. For performing this task you may refer to the steps mentioned below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

1 Right click on Start , and then click Control Panel.

2 Click Hardware and Sound.

3 Click Keyboard.

4 In the Mouse Properties window:
• Click the Device Select tab to disable the touch pad.
• Click the Touch Pad tab to adjust touch pad settings.

5 Click OK to save the settings and restart the system and check.

Hope this would help. Do keep us updated about the status of your issue and we will be happy to

Thanks for your suggestions, but in common with other advice in various places on the internet, none of the routes and settings suggested appear to be present on my computer!

No settings for touchpad anywhere, in 'mouse', 'keyboard', 'hardware' or anywhere else in Control Panel.

My model is: Satellite P70-B11-P and, unlike the one in the video you kindly provided, it doesn't feature the double-tap facility.

Thanks anyway.

No good contacting Toshiba about this as, unsurprisingly, they no longer make laptops!

I suppose a more permanent option would be to open the case and completely detach any connections to the touchpad! Too fiddly, though, so I'll stick with the home-made cover.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thanks for your suggestions, but in common with other advice in various places on the internet, none of the routes and settings suggested appear to be present on my computer!

No settings for touchpad anywhere, in 'mouse', 'keyboard', 'hardware' or anywhere else in Control Panel.

My model is: Satellite P70-B11-P and, unlike the one in the video you kindly provided, it doesn't feature the double-tap facility.

Thanks anyway.

No good contacting Toshiba about this as, unsurprisingly, they no longer make laptops!

I suppose a more permanent option would be to open the case and completely detach any connections to the touchpad! Too fiddly, though, so I'll stick with the home-made cover.
If you go into settings/update update & security is there an error notice saying something about "a driver is more recent than....".

I think they have stuffed up the driver!

I had a problem, not too different from this, when this big update came out last year.

After trying to find someone who could supply the drivers (Toshiba didn't) I gave up and did a W10 re-install. That worked ok as it took my Toshiba back to before the big update.

The problem recurred, a week or two ago, when the big update was repeated.

Will comment more if you have the same error message.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 06:25 PM

Seems like you have lost the Toshiba drivers for your machine.
Which is why there is no settings item.
Check for and download and install the relevant drivers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top