Join for free
Page 10 of 21 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 > Last »
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 11:27 PM

Re: Polite discourse vs hostility and rudeness

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Well, all of a sudden we have threads like these so something is bothering someone somewhere.
Well, it's really no different than regulars of the community bringing up topics about the rudeness of some posters. I've seen a lot of that lately.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 11:35 PM

Well, all of a sudden we have threads like these so something is bothering someone somewhere.
It is where the complaints come from Mark that matters. All forums have starchy complainers and it is a great shame their small minded views affect us all and kill conversation, diversity and forums.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Thanks again for all the feedback.

So in short, what I am proposing is giving you the choice whether you want people to engage with you politely, or however they see fit.

Maybe we don't need such rules - and instead we just encourage you to let others know their attitude or actions toward you are not appreciated? Might fall on deaf ears tho

It's a shame we don't have a proper block function, as that would solve 99% of the biggest problems Mods face.
Good idea, if I upset anybody please tell me . More than happy to do so.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 11:45 PM

What about a method of liking or disliking a post? Pity something like that can't be added to the forum.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 11:49 PM

What about a method of liking or disliking a post? Pity something like that can't be added to the forum.
I don't really think that does much of anything except make the poster wonder who's liking or disliking all of their posts. It's not super productive, in my opinion.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
I don't really think that does much of anything except make the poster wonder who's liking or disliking all of their posts. It's not super productive, in my opinion.
Works well on another forum I use.

Just thought - works well on Facebook too . How it work on Facebook (and the other forum) is that the names also appear. I like it a lot to be honest with you.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 11:52 PM

the ability to dislike posts would cause an uproar and some may do it for the wrong reasons
Linda0818
USA

21-11-2015, 11:55 PM

Works well on another forum I use.

Just thought - works well on Facebook too .
Yeah, but... it doesn't really do anything.

As for facebook, you can't dislike posts, only like them. Which is kind of stupid. If you're going to have one, you should have the other. That's like saying "You can only LIKE posts, but if you dislike them, tough patooties!" LOL

Originally Posted by Honey ->
the ability to dislike posts would cause an uproar and some may do it for the wrong reasons
I agree.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 11:55 PM

MKJ, I totally agree!
There have been so many posts on here that I have liked and there has been no way for me to let the poster know.
I wouldn't like to see a 'Dislike' option as that could be used in a detrimental way!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

21-11-2015, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Yeah, but... it doesn't really do anything.

As for facebook, you can't dislike posts, only like them. Which is kind of stupid. If you're going to have one, you should have the other. That's like saying "You can only LIKE posts, but if you dislike them, tough patooties!" LOL

I agree.
But it does far more than that. It is like a mark of respect. Paying homage to a well considered thoughtful post in a way.

As for disliking a post you could say a lack of 'likes' is more or less the same thing - either the post isn't anything special or you don't agree with it.

Page 10 of 21 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top