Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 09:35 AM

1944 should we bomb Auschwitz?

Haunting documentary .
Watch on iPlayer BBC2
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 11:52 AM

Re: 1944 should we bomb Auschwitz?

I have only watched the highlights to this, and I assume it would have been the Americans who did the bombing, but IMO - no, no, no they should not have bombed Auschwitz? That would have made them complicit with the extermination effort of the Germans and anyway Auschwitz was not the only Jewish extermination camp. With what I saw of the film I was not very impressed with it. Auschwitz should stand forever as an horrific memorial to the terrible inhuman activities that were being perpetrated in those camps. The things that happened there were beyond belief and my dad had first hand experience for he was a prisoner in Poland. Many people these days cannot and do not believe it happened and are in denial.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 12:44 PM

While I agree muddy I do see why they may have thought about it. My uncle was one of the first into the camp and he said at first they didn't realize the people were alive even it led him to suicide a few years later. It wasn't as black and white for them back then we have benefit of hindsight.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I have only watched the highlights to this, and I assume it would have been the Americans who did the bombing, but IMO - no, no, no they should not have bombed Auschwitz? That would have made them complicit with the extermination effort of the Germans and anyway Auschwitz was not the only Jewish extermination camp. With what I saw of the film I was not very impressed with it. Auschwitz should stand forever as an horrific memorial to the terrible inhuman activities that were being perpetrated in those camps. The things that happened there were beyond belief and my dad had first hand experience for he was a prisoner in Poland. Many people these days cannot and do not believe it happened and are in denial.
I disagree had they bombed it some people would have been killed but thousands more may have lived .
It was a huge ethical dilemma .
But really the allies didn’t want to divert resources from winning the war .
The insane Germans who were losing the war still used their resources in order to murder defenceless Jewish people .
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2019, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I disagree had they bombed it some people would have been killed but thousands more may have lived .
It was a huge ethical dilemma .
But really the allies didn’t want to divert resources from winning the war .
The insane Germans who were losing the war still used their resources in order to murder defenceless Jewish people .
As I initially said Auschwitz was one of many camps Muddy and it comprised of 3 or 4 divisons on different sites. By 1945, more than 40,000 concentration camps, work camps and other types of detainment facilities were established by the Nazi regime. Approximately 11 million people were killed in these camps - not all of them Jewish. My father was one of the survivors.
Below is a link to illustrate that eliminating one camp would not have made a huge difference, other than to kill innocent people.

https://www.thoughtco.com/concentrat...ps-map-1779690
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

21-09-2019, 09:35 PM

The topic here is about Auschwitz .
Auschwitz was the largest extermination camp .
The sites of Auschwitz were all near each other .
Not all the people were Jewish but the vast majority were and what has this got to do with anything ?
They were all human beings
They were all being murdered on an industrial scale .
Bombing would have stopped or at least disrupted this savings thousands of lives.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 07:20 AM

Not all the people were Jewish but the vast majority were and what has this got to do with anything ?
Bombing would have stopped or at least disrupted this savings thousands of lives.

Tend to agree

Think it was the Russians who liberated the camp in the end.
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 07:31 AM

I watched it and had no idea that two men had escaped from the hell and were able to relate what was happening in the camps.It's still hard to believe the atrocity of it all.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

22-09-2019, 03:05 PM

I realise what you say Muddy, but do you really think that bombing Auschwitz would have been able to discriminate who to kill. I don't believe it would have saved lives - it would have destroyed innocent lives IMO destroyed by those who were supposed to be the liberators. The other camps would have continued up until the end of the war and it would not alter the fact that approx. 11 million innocents died at the hands of German forces. Auschwitz left standing serves as a frightening reminder of what happened and IMO it needed to be preserved as a hard, cold physical testament to the atrocities that man is capable of.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top