Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 01:03 PM

Progress will be the death of us all.

I don’t believe in manmade climate change, the climate will do what it has done over the last 4 billion years or so despite our recent attempts to modify its behaviour. Sure, we can do something to make our stay here more comfortable by cutting down the pollution and stop wasting the Earth’s resources, but I believe it’s progress that is pulling us down into oblivion. Somebody invents something useful or labour saving and everyone wants one, before long you can’t do without it, and it becomes a must have and a drain on the earth’s resources, damaging wildlife habitats and destroying the environment with industry....

Take the motor car for example, for thousands of years we managed without them, people worked within walking distance of their home, things were locally produced, and most journeys were done on foot or horseback. In just over one hundred years most people own at least one. Imagine the amount of the Earth’s resources that goes into the manufacture of one. Imagine the amount of pollution caused in the manufacture, and then imagine the amount of pollution it produces in its lifetime of perhaps twenty years, and not all vehicles are recycled, an awful lot of them lie rusting away on waste ground, dumped in waterways, and scrap yards.

Now consider TV’s, Fridges, Freezers, dishwashers, microwaves, computers, smartphones, all inventions of the last hundred years or so, what at first were only afforded by the rich, but now in practically every home and indispensable. Problem is, how do we go backwards? Or at least, how do we stop going forwards? How can we tell the multinational companies to stop inventing useful stuff, or at least be satisfied with what we’ve got?
Anyone got a solution??????
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 01:47 PM

Re: Progress will be the death of us all.

Hi

Not me OGF.

I am a Scientist, we are adversely affecting the Environment.

We are stupidly arrogant if we think we can make a difference to nature.

England is a green and pleasant land.

I look out of my back bedroom window to a massive old Volcano.

I look across a river carved out by the last Ice Age.

Can we tinker?

Yes, we can make the Planet a better place for a while.

We cannot however stop major changes.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 04:47 PM

Progress makes us, the human race, lazy. Non of us want to live in the 'dark ages' where to get ahead we had to work hard, very hard, like scrubbing brushes, carpet beaters, push along lawn mowers, binders and threshing machines, open fires which had to be cleaned out every night and laid and lit every morning, coppers to get hot water. The list goes on.
We want and crave a world that makes life as easy as possible and we are getting it, Computers, mobile phones, cars, automatic washing machines, Aircraft to take us anywhere in the world within a few hours etc; This is what we all want and the result is that we are more dependant on these up to date gadgets to make life easier.
What will life be like in, say fifty years time, We will have a life where we do absolutely nothing, We will just shout at a robot, "Get me a cup of tea" and we will just sit back in the recliner and wait for it to be put in front of us.
Yes, I think although progress is essential and we cannot stop it (Thank goodness) but it is making us lazy.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
– Snip –

Yes, I think although progress is essential and we cannot stop it (Thank goodness) but it is making us lazy.
The problem with all that laziness is that it promotes more and more laziness. That in turn causes obesity and even more obesity. Next to suffer are our hearts, they don't get the use they should and start having problems so heart disease becomes another downfall in the health of human beings. Next everyone lives less years due to being lazy and doing nothing.

I know all that sounds doom and gloom, where I live though a visit to the nearest large town shows exactly that. The people, or many of them, are enormous and it's not older people either, it's relatively young people probably not yet 30-35. Children are far bigger too, probably as a result of them being glued to the computer or mobile phone, rather than out playing in the fields, as our generation used to, and getting physical exercise.

Until we get back to lives that give us similar to what our predecessors, the cavemen and women had, eating food that was close to nature, foraging rather than just going to the supermarket as we do, therefore eating far too much of the wrong foods and not getting enough exercise, sadly this decline will I feel continue.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Progress makes us, the human race, lazy. Non of us want to live in the 'dark ages' where to get ahead we had to work hard, very hard, like scrubbing brushes, carpet beaters, push along lawn mowers, binders and threshing machines, open fires which had to be cleaned out every night and laid and lit every morning, coppers to get hot water. The list goes on.
We want and crave a world that makes life as easy as possible and we are getting it, Computers, mobile phones, cars, automatic washing machines, Aircraft to take us anywhere in the world within a few hours etc; This is what we all want and the result is that we are more dependant on these up to date gadgets to make life easier.
What will life be like in, say fifty years time, We will have a life where we do absolutely nothing, We will just shout at a robot, "Get me a cup of tea" and we will just sit back in the recliner and wait for it to be put in front of us.
Good points Ben, but I think the repercussions will be far more serious than overweight humans. The industry necessary to produce, what start off as luxuries and become necessities, will continue to deplete the earth of its riches and increase pollution despite our attempts to offset it. As valuable minerals become rare, the cost of products will rise increasing the gap between have and have nots and poverty will reach all time highs.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

28-11-2019, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->

The problem with all that laziness is that it promotes more and more laziness. That in turn causes obesity and even more obesity. Next to suffer are our hearts, they don't get the use they should and start having problems so heart disease becomes another downfall in the health of human beings. Next everyone lives less years due to being lazy and doing nothing.

I know all that sounds doom and gloom, where I live though a visit to the nearest large town shows exactly that. The people, or many of them, are enormous and it's not older people either, it's relatively young people probably not yet 30-35. Children are far bigger too, probably as a result of them being glued to the computer or mobile phone, rather than out playing in the fields, as our generation used to, and getting physical exercise.

Until we get back to lives that give us similar to what our predecessors, the cavemen and women had, eating food that was close to nature, foraging rather than just going to the supermarket as we do, therefore eating far too much of the wrong foods and not getting enough exercise, sadly this decline will I feel continue.
Trouble is Baz, we can either reduce our needs voluntarily or it will happen out of our control. It will be a gradual effect and I don't think it will bother any of us on the forum..
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Trouble is Baz, we can either reduce our needs voluntarily or it will happen out of our control. It will be a gradual effect and I don't think it will bother any of us on the forum..
Well it might not bother some on the forum but I intend living until I am at least 150, halfway there now, just to see what does happen about all this in the future!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

29-11-2019, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Well it might not bother some on the forum but I intend living until I am at least 150, halfway there now, just to see what does happen about all this in the future!
Ha Ha Yes Baz, me too...
It would be a pity to shuffle off now....
It would be like leaving the cinema without seeing the end of the film....
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I don’t believe in manmade climate change, the climate will do what it has done over the last 4 billion years or so despite our recent attempts to modify its behaviour. Sure, we can do something to make our stay here more comfortable by cutting down the pollution and stop wasting the Earth’s resources, but I believe it’s progress that is pulling us down into oblivion. Somebody invents something useful or labour saving and everyone wants one, before long you can’t do without it, and it becomes a must have and a drain on the earth’s resources, damaging wildlife habitats and destroying the environment with industry....

Take the motor car for example, for thousands of years we managed without them, people worked within walking distance of their home, things were locally produced, and most journeys were done on foot or horseback. In just over one hundred years most people own at least one. Imagine the amount of the Earth’s resources that goes into the manufacture of one. Imagine the amount of pollution caused in the manufacture, and then imagine the amount of pollution it produces in its lifetime of perhaps twenty years, and not all vehicles are recycled, an awful lot of them lie rusting away on waste ground, dumped in waterways, and scrap yards.

Now consider TV’s, Fridges, Freezers, dishwashers, microwaves, computers, smartphones, all inventions of the last hundred years or so, what at first were only afforded by the rich, but now in practically every home and indispensable. Problem is, how do we go backwards? Or at least, how do we stop going forwards? How can we tell the multinational companies to stop inventing useful stuff, or at least be satisfied with what we’ve got?
Anyone got a solution??????
This progress you talk about, it changes direction, that's a good thing surely.

Our cars, fridges etc. are safer, less polluting and components are more likely to be recycled than ever before.
Baz46

29-11-2019, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by oldgreyfox ->
ha ha yes baz, me too...:-d
it would be a pity to shuffle off now....
it would be like leaving the cinema without seeing the end of the film....
Yes, I like that. Even worse would be leaving without managing to have an ice cream!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top