Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2019, 06:51 PM

Re: DNA from Stone Age woman obtained 6,000 years on

Originally Posted by Omah ->

What about the ducks and the hazelnuts .....
I will duck that question.

Notice they even gave her the benefit of modern "morality" by having her shyly cover her boobs for the "camera." If you are doing science, do science. If you are doing fantasy, do fantasy, the two do not mix.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 11:57 AM

So she wasn't a Vegan then (dead duck by her side partially obscuring her smartphone screen) ....She looks like an extra out of 'Oliver Twist' and John Frieda could have done her hair...

Must have been a slow news day...
Mention 'Scientist' and 'DNA' in the same sentence and it must be right then....

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 12:38 PM

It's just an artists impression of what she might have looked like. They did that all the time on Time Team.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
It's just an artists impression of what she might have looked like. They did that all the time on Time Team.
Makes you wonder what else they've made up Tiff....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Makes you wonder what else they've made up Tiff....
I don't think it's made up. They must have a good idea, after all they are experts at archaeology.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 07:27 PM

Its mind boggling isn't it.... did she wear clothes I wonder if so they would probably have been animal skins ...maybe she still had hairy skin to help keep her warm. I think its fascinating ...I'm waiting for a TV documentary about it I won't miss that
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 08:03 PM

It’s only an artists idealistic impression .
We don’t know what colour her eyes of skin were nor to we know what her facial structure really was .
I find the whole thing vaguely unbelievable
I thought dna deteriorated over the years .
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2019, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
We don’t know what colour her eyes of skin were nor to we know what her facial structure really was .
I find the whole thing vaguely unbelievable
I thought dna deteriorated over the years .
The woman's entire genetic code, or genome, was decoded and used to work out what she might have looked like. She was genetically more closely related to hunter-gatherers from mainland Europe than to those who lived in central Scandinavia at the time, and, like them, had dark skin, dark brown hair and blue eyes.
The researchers also extracted DNA from microbes trapped in the "chewing gum". They found pathogens that cause glandular fever and pneumonia, as well as many other viruses and bacteria that are naturally present in the mouth, but don't cause disease.

How long can DNA last? A million years

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/49366487/n...rs-maybe-more/

The oldest DNA samples ever recovered are from insects and plants in ice cores in Greenland up to 800,000 years old. But researchers had not been able to determine the oldest possible DNA they could get from the fossil record because DNA's rate of decay had remained a mystery.

Now scientists in Australia report they've been able to estimate this rate based on a comparison of DNA from 158 fossilized leg bones from three species of the moa, an extinct group of flightless birds that once lived in New Zealand. The bones date between 600 and 8,000 years old and importantly all come from the same region.

Temperatures, oxygenation and other environmental factors make it difficult to detect a basic rate of degradation, researcher Mike Bunce, from Murdoch University's Ancient DNA lab in Perth, explained in a statement.

"The moa bones however have allowed us to study the comparative DNA degradation because they come from different ages from a region where they have all experienced the same environmental conditions," Bunce said.

Based on this study, Bunce and his team put DNA's half-life at 521 years, meaning half of the DNA bonds would be broken down 521 years after death, and half of the remaining bonds would be decayed another 521 years after that, and so on. This rate is 400 times slower than simulation experiments predicted, the researchers said, and it would mean that under ideal conditions, all the DNA bonds would be completely destroyed in bone after about 6.8 million years.

"If the decay rate is accurate then we predict that DNA fragments of sufficient length will preserve in frozen fossil bone of around one million years in age," Bunce said.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 08:43 AM

Blimey a million years....I wonder what lies hidden in those melting glaciers
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Blimey a million years....I wonder what lies hidden in those melting glaciers
There might be a Thing From Another World:

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top