Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 10:31 AM

Re: Apocalypse Cow -How meat killed the planet

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Channel 4

How meat farming is destroying the planet .

As we grow richer we eat far more meat ( two million chicken a year in the U.K. ) cows and chickens use a lot of land and create vast amounts of effluence which the land cannot take it all seeps into the rivers and pollutes them .

It explores the production of meat from stem cells which requires little land .

In the future we won’t need animals for meat at all.
2M chickens, each or shared between the 66M population?

We all know that chickens come from cages, nice roasted, curried, KFC'd whatever ... I must get through a dozen a year single-handedly.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 10:34 AM

Yes the poor chicken is the most eaten ( and abused ) animal on the planet.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 11:32 AM

This programme explores the future of making meat form stem cells culture .
It does apparently taste exactly like meat
Does the shape of the meat follow the type of stem cell used?
ie: does it have 2 or 4 legs/ horns or beaks etc! etc! Or s it just a
blob of ( meat??).
Donkeyman!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 12:36 PM

Channel 4

How meat farming is destroying the planet .

As we grow richer we eat far more meat ( two million chicken a year in the U.K. ) cows and chickens use a lot of land and create vast amounts of effluence which the land cannot take it all seeps into the rivers and pollutes them .

It explores the production of meat from stem cells which requires little land .

In the future we won’t need animals for meat at all.
This is the absolute silliest thing I has heard in a long time. The one TV program you watched is quite likely in league with vegans and vegetarians, to say nothing of the leftist wackos.

Truthfully, those groups scare me. They are endlessly predicting doom and gloom and trying to force the rest of us to live by THEIR views. I would not be at all surprised if those same wackos believe that: Elvis is alive and well, that crop circles are created by aliens, that the pyramids of Egypt were built by aliens, that "Big foot" inhabits the N.W.
portion of the U.S., that tarot cards actually predict the future, that the "hole in the ozone" (remember that one ?) will expand and kill us all via deadly rays, that plants have feelings, etc. etc. etc.

I tell you, they are all nuts.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 12:47 PM

You have to have an open mind about these things .

They are not all nuts we all know now how cows are kept in America .

Not roaming the hills but penned in endless corrals .

We know that much of the South American rain forest is cut down to make pasture land for cattle ( in a place where cattle were never meant to be .

This was not all about vegans at all
In fact in one part they advocated and showed the culling of red deer on the Scottish highlands .
Where lacking predators red deer have changed the landscape by overbreeding and destroying trees and plant life .
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 02:48 PM

You have to have an open mind about these things .

They are not all nuts we all know now how cows are kept in America .

Not roaming the hills but penned in endless corrals .

We know that much of the South American rain forest is cut down to make pasture land for cattle ( in a place where cattle were never meant to be .

This was not all about vegans at all
In fact in one part they advocated and showed the culling of red deer on the Scottish highlands .
Where lacking predators red deer have changed the landscape by overbreeding and destroying trees and plant life .

Every organ in your body has a store of stem cells (except the brain). After a while your organ's cell have devided so many times they starve. That's the aging proces.
From the store of stem cells in the organ new cells start deviding and keeping the organ vital.
However, after a period of time the store of stem cells is depleted, and that is the moment you start to die.

The problem with growing cells in culture was that after a certain number of devisions the process stopped. That is a serious problem for growing muscle cells if you want enough cells to call it meat.
A number of years ago it became possible to grow stem cells. That solves the problem. Now the quantity of muscle cells (= meat) you can grow is limitless. The remaining problem for now is that the way of production is expensive. But with time that will be solved too.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 10:22 PM

Just for general information.
The cows which you might see in those huge corrals are only the fatting-up pens. The overwhelming majority of cows are raised in vast tracts of land called pastures. Thus, for the majority of their lives, the cows are free to roam where they want. It is only at the very end are they sent to the fatting-up pens.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 11:36 PM

So then the Greenies could make cows, pigs, sheep extinct! The worlds biggest problem is too many humans, (also emitting methane!)
Cattle: 996.36 million head in 2018, down from over one billion cattle in 2014.
Humans: 8 billion.
LilyCat
Cheshire
LilyCat is female  LilyCat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 11:49 PM

I think the vastly expanding population is a big part of the problem. We have to eat, and if not meat, there has to be replacement food.
This country can’t possibly grow the amount of crops needed for a veggie/vegan society, so the carbon footprint of veggies, soya, coconut milk etc is massive. Far greater than the carbon foot print of meat produced in the U.K.
I do have access to a load of evidence based pieces about it, as I work for a government agency within DEFRA. If anybody wants some links to the evidence, you’re welcome to message me, but it’s really boring stuff
I think we’d all benefit from eating less meat, but whatever we eat, has a huge and unsustainable effect on the planet. I really don’t know what the answer is, but I do know that farming is seen as evil at the moment. When this latest scaremongering wears off, I’m sure something else will be in the firing line.
I remember the 80’s when aerosols got the giants share of the blame for the hole in the ozone layer. If you owned a can of hairspray you were likely to be lynched...
bakerman
Mexico

10-01-2020, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by LilyCat ->
I think the vastly expanding population is a big part of the problem. We have to eat, and if not meat, there has to be replacement food.
This country can’t possibly grow the amount of crops needed for a veggie/vegan society, so the carbon footprint of veggies, soya, coconut milk etc is massive. Far greater than the carbon foot print of meat produced in the U.K.
I do have access.

I really don’t know what the answer is, but I do know that farming is seen as evil at the moment. When this latest scaremongering wears off, I’m sure something else will be in the firing line.
I remember the 80’s when aerosols got the giants share of the blame for the hole in the ozone layer. If you owned a can of hairspray you were likely to be lynched...
Exactly correct. Locally, in the U.S., there have been semi-violent "greenie" demonstrations against KFC where they broke windows and spray painted graffiti on exterior walls. It's going to be a cold day in hell before I give up eating chicken/beef/pork.

Last but by no means least, the title of this thread strongly states that the planet has been KILLED (past tense) by meat. That is vastly over-stating the matter.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top