Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 11:07 AM

Re: Pat testing

Can you test energy saving light bulbs? I took a few packs of new ones down to the local charity shop but they couldn't accept them.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Have you come across any appliances that failed yet? I had to get a PAT tester because a company I did some work for required the testing and labelling to be done.
I haven’t actually pat tested anything yet mart, I think the tester they have at work is knackered
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I was wondering whether you can do a course and pat test your own home appliances or is there a rule against that?
I think any one with a modicum of intelligence can do a pat testing course online and receive a certificate, obviously for a fee, but buying a decent pat tester can be anything from £ 500, to £1000 ,
Primus1
York

20-01-2020, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Can you test energy saving light bulbs? I took a few packs of new ones down to the local charity shop but they couldn't accept them.
Not sure if you can pat test a lightbulb, I would say not,
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Not sure if you can pat test a lightbulb, I would say not,
Portable appliance test,don't think a light bulb comes under that catergory. All manner of things tested in our work place each year,is it law or a insurance requirement?

Ah! this should answer it.
https://www.hse.gov.uk/electricity/f...ce-testing.htm
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 08:23 PM

From what I understand, anyone can do electrical work, however that work has to be checked and passed by a qualified PAT tester/electrician to make sure it is safe before use.

Where it all falls down as in my garage, you can have power and lighting classed as "portable" if the main supply is via a 13 amp plug and socket. We actually had a qualified electrician in to check and he said although not ideal it didn't break and rules

I must get around to wiring it all up with a circuit breaker and split power from lighting. Looks a big job which I am loathed to actually do
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I think any one with a modicum of intelligence can do a pat testing course online and receive a certificate, obviously for a fee, but buying a decent pat tester can be anything from £ 500, to £1000 ,
I think it was £500 + that I was quoted for testing a few appliances when I wanted to make sure everything was safe in the house. There must be a cheaper way to do it.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 06:10 PM

Annie

you can do your own easy power point checks with one of these. Well worth getting , all you do is just plug it in and switch the socket on, for around £10/15 price range

Link

https://www.google.com/search?q=mart...hrome&ie=UTF-8

A you can see it tells straight away if the electrical sockets are ok. So if the socket shows ok then any problems must be what you plug in, ie kettle

SIMPLES

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top