Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 11:19 AM

Re: new computer keyboard

I was having problems with the Logiteck keyboard. No wonder, some idiot at that company installed the batteries the wrong way around. They need to teach their staff which is positive and which is negative. There is no markings in the battery compartment which I think is bad
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I was having problems with the Logiteck keyboard. No wonder, some idiot at that company installed the batteries the wrong way around. They need to teach their staff which is positive and which is negative. There is no markings in the battery compartment which I think is bad
The 'Spring Thing' usually goes to neg realspeed...
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 11:54 AM

I have the Logitech K270 keyboard - battery markings are on the outside and inside - but it is 5 years old, so maybe the makers are saving costs nowadays by leaving the marking off .....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The 'Spring Thing' usually goes to neg realspeed...
I know they don't
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 11:35 AM

I've had my new keyboard for a good few weeks now (bought to go with the Intel NUC). It's taken me this long to discover that it doesn't have a backslash key. Obviously not made entirely for the UK market. If you read around the Internet, others have bought such keyboards and it's something I'd look out for if I ever need to buy another keyboard.

Not having that key is not an insurmountable problem. A backslash can be found in the Windows Character Map (copy and paste it). A key could always be re-mapped using a re-mapping program too.

However, perhaps the easiest way I read about that overcomes the problem is to press and hold the 'Alt' key to the right of the space bar and then press the hash (#) key. It does the job for this keyboard. \\\\\
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

18-02-2020, 07:24 PM

Apart from the above probems, communication between keyboad mouse and copmputer was intermittant to say the least, drove me mad having to keep switching both off and back on

Think I may have found the issue. I have a desktop tower computer with USB3 connection on the back and top. Putting the dongle in either position is not in direct line of sight with keyboard or mouse. Found a USB3 cable and plugged into the computer back and left pinned to the side. problem appears solved.

I used a double sided cable clamp and placed it on the computer side panel.

Why don't they say it has to be used line of sight?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 09:30 PM

It might depend on the make of keyboard and mouse but I don't think the dongle necessarily needs to be in direct sight of the keyboard/mouse.

It's an RF device and it's more what obstacles are in the way of communication. If the dongle is plugged around the back of the computer, it's somewhat shielded by the metal casing of the computer.

The keyboard and mouse I bought gives 2 ranges for communication. One of 8 metres if the dongle is plugged in at the back of the computer and 7 metres if it is plugged in at the front.

As it turns out with mine, it communicates through a desk top. The computer sits underneath and off to the right a bit. It's less than a metre away. No problem with communication with the dongle plugged in at the rear.

On the other computer though, I've done more or less what you have and stapled a USB lead to the top of the desk and plugged the dongle into that.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

18-02-2020, 09:40 PM

I kee my computer on the desk first to reduce the dust intake and second to use the DVD drive.
Having said that I just checked and it is time for a mesh clean

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top