Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 08:24 PM

Re: Your first...

The Stones.
There were others on the bill.Spencer Davies and Unit four plus Two.

About the same time,the Kinks, when the drummer hit on of the Davies's with his drum kit.The show was stopped and he got taken to hospital.I didn't get my money back!
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 08:54 PM

I can't exactly remember the first gig I went to but when I was around 15yrs our local night club started hosting Punk gigs.

The promoter was from London and I think he thought Yate was in Bristol instead of 11 miles North East............Anyway we used to bunk off school on a friday afternoon and help the bands roadie their gear up the stairs and in to the venue......We would then get free entry.
Bands like Ultravox ( in the early Indie/alternative days), Generation X ( Billy Idol), Slaughter And The Dogs and many others.

The first gig I paid good money and really wanted to go to was The Clash at The Locarno in Bristol.....around 1978.

My next gig will be Kings of Leon in Newcastle in July
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 09:34 PM

My Dad took me to see The Duke Ellington Orchestra when I was 14. (1966) He was doing a world tour and after that they all died. He took me to see the Dave Brubeck Quartet the same year and The Seekers the next - I think. First concert back in Sydney from living in Perth was Blood, Sweat and Tears at Randwick Racecourse.
vinylman65
east coast-u.s.a.
vinylman65 is male  vinylman65 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 10:28 PM

Good post,for me it was the Howard Theater in D.C.[1962]the Shirelles-Roy Hamilton and others,I was hooked after that.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
If I wanted to see Cliff Richard when he comes to my local theatre in Setember I can expect to pay upwards of £200.

Think I'll watch the live relay at the cinema instead - £17 for that.
same with Elton John. I would love to see him live and he's coming to Leeds soon but I will not pay the fee he is commanding, sod that.

My first live show I saw was Tom Jones. I was never a fan of his but one of my friends desperately wanted to go so I agreed to go with her. Oh My Gawd, he was bloody fabulous, he is truly a showman and knows how to work his audience. His show converted me to a Tom Jones fan.
I recently saw Hugh Jackman and his show was even better than Toms, another fantastic showman.

One concert I will regret not going to for the rest of my life is one with Freddie Mercury. I so wish I had gone to Live Aid and seen that fabulous performance. Awww RIP my Freddie. By the way Carol, I'm going to see We Will Rock You next week eeeeeeek, cannae wait
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 11:09 PM

I went to see Buddy Holly & The Crickets at The Davis Theatre in Croydon on March 12th 1958. Sadly the theatre closed and was demolished in 1959. The Fairfield Halls opened three years later.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->

. By the way Carol, I'm going to see We Will Rock You next week eeeeeeek, cannae wait
That will be a brilliant night for you Queenie - enjoy.

I looks at the tour dates to see if it was coming anywhere near us - but it isn't!!
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 12:22 AM

Went to see Alice Cooper Dead Babies. think
it was at Wembley, when I was 16 or 17.

The backing band's equipment was terrible
but we wondered who they were - got their
first LP when it came out 'Roxy Music'
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->

Mine was to see the very young Cliff Richard at the Palace Theatre Mansfield Notts.... and yes, my friends & I screamed our heads off!!!
As a pre teen I saw an even younger Cliff Richard at Butlins

But I suspect he was also the first one night stand I went to at the Odeon, Dover. He could have been reciting the 23rd Psalm for all I knew because nothing could be heard above the screams of the girls in the audience.

The first band I actually heard because their PA was louder than the screams was the Dave Clark Five. A very good concert as it happened with the Kinks as the opening act and it went uphill from then.

However there were many concerts before that where the screaming drowned out the bands
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 10:24 AM

My first big concert was on 23rd March 1963 at Slough Adelphi. Headlining was "Little Miss Dynamite" - Brenda Lee, backed up by Mike Berry, Sounds Incorporated, Tony Sheridan and The Bachelors. It wasn't really my kind of music, but my older sister had a spare ticket and I went along so I could be near her best friend Jackie (for whom I had a deep and abiding unrequited love). I remember not being impressed by the music. At that time my friends and I (all around 15yrs old) were just getting into R&B and The Stones and had started blagging our (underage) way into The Crawdaddy, Eel Pie Island, Ealing Blues Club and The Ricky Tick Club where we saw The Stones, Manfred Mann, YArdbirds, Pretty Things etc on a regular basis.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top